Where have you been? What have you seen?
By dppintr
In the spring of 2013 I made a day trip to the Sauerland in Germany, passing also the dams that were targeted by the RAF in 1943 during World War II

In the morning I first visited the Henrichenburg boat lift, which is part of the Dormunt-Ems canal and now a museum, and the Mohne dam. Then in the afternoon I made a round trip from Paderborn with stops at Meschede and Korbach aerodromes, and passing the Waltrop Lock Park, and the Sorpesee, Mohnesee, Hennesee and Edersee with their dams on route.

The trip report is updated with a visit to the Eder dam and the small museum at Edersee that we made in 2014.

Mohne dam

The trip report with pictures can be found here
Last edited by dppintr on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Josh
Bloody hell - the terrain around the Edersee looks hairy from the perspective of a light single/twin pilot in daylight, sod doing it in a muscle-operated heavy bomber at night!
By Keef
It was a breeze, I can assure you. In an Arrow, with two pilots, anyway. Bomb aimer in the back was screaming (or was that singing?)
By Basil
I flew down the lake and over the Eder Dam last summer, with the theme tune on the music system adding ambience. I'd been warned that the authorities have a camera or suchlike to detect and fine aerial sightseers who descend below 500 ft AGL; not being equipped with down-lights and as it was daylight, height above the lake surface was a bit of a guess .....
A later sortie over the Sorpe Dam was foiled by low cloud.
By joe-fbs
Flying along the Mohnesee at about 900' height recently made me even more amazed by the mission than I ever was. The approaches are so twisty and the area so hilly (more so around the Sorpe and Eder I thought).
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Basil wrote: I'd been warned that the authorities have a camera or suchlike to detect and fine aerial sightseers who descend below 500 ft AGL.

Seriously???? :shock: