Where have you been? What have you seen?
First off - a big thank you to Frank for organising this fly-out. :thumleft: What a gentleman too. Do you ever get grumpy Frank?

Well who would have thought, The Edge finally made it to a Flyer fly-out. :D

The Edge nearly did not make it (transponders - grrr) but thanks to Iceman who kindly offered up one of his seats in the Commander it was game on. 8)

TK a lovely AC112TC (referred to as Poppie :oops: ) being fed before departure and my chauffeur (Iceman 8) ) checking that all the nuts and bolts were in place. :shock: :lol:

Close the door you idiot and stop taking pictures. Yes Boss. :wink:

We duly launched – hmmm, compared to my beloved Steroid, Poppy sure loves the runway. I sucked in my tummy and she then let go of terra firma. :lol: :lol:

First stop was Calais. The Edge has never been to Calais so he is always excited at the prospect of visiting a new airfield. The restaurant was very nice. The paying of landing fees is a slow affair but when you have time to spare, go by air.

My first introduction to some formites at Calais.

PeteL in his Breezer

RichT in the Trinidad

AND of course RichT’s wife Yvonne (hope my memory does not fail me) anesthetising herself for the next leg of the trip with a glass of vino – perhaps she had an insight into the grumpy Belgium controller we did not have.

Second leg was launched pretty much direct Koblenz. The Edge is jinxed when it comes to transponders. :oops: First the Steroids’ transponder packed up, then Shrek’s transponder played up and then Poppies transponder decided to drop out. :lol: As a result of this we had fun zipping under the lower airspace to Koblenz. The lower the better and the happier we are!! :drunken:

The Edge at this time was also handed the map and asked to follow our track on the map – 530’s and 430’s don’t have much in the way of VFR reference points. Secretly we think the Iceman was now VERYscared, :pale: , that the Edge would burst forth into song (wailing) and decided to keep him busy with the map. :eye: :lol: . No matter as The Edge does enjoy map reading and at the same time learning more about the 530. :D A good piece of kit. When the Edge has used a 430 in the past he is happy just to get the radio part of the thing working let alone trying to get the magenta line to show the intended path and then Iceman showed him all the other black magic it can do – Hmmmmmm. :cyclopsani:

Anyhow, the rest of the journey was uneventful

Turning overhead Koblenz

Left base 06.

The Ice and Poppy all parked up.

Steve Days lovely Malibu

Grumpy1’s chicken trying to do something obscene to the AA’s aerial. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Some of the attending aircraft lined up and parked for the weekend.

Katamarino and his Missus arriving in the Robin from Rotterdam (I think)

The first nights informal gathering for supper. Stupidly the Edge left his camera at the hotel for the formal dinner on Saturday.

Hic – where is the beer idiot Edge. Tall guy in a PA28.

Iceman, Jenny, John and PeteS

Keef, Viv and Pete

Yvonne and Tall Guy in a PA28

Steve day and Frank with their families.

A few others

Some pictures of the views around Koblenz and the river boat ride.

Tall guy in a PA28, Keef, Davidair, Skydriller and his missus and others.

Frank, PeteS’s son and Grumpy1

Don’t jump, please don’t ump, the Edges singing is not that bad. :lol: :lol: :oops:

Departing Koblenz – 4 of the machines fed and ready for flying.

Some pictures of the return trip

We think it is a safe bet this crew wont get lost on the return trip. :eye:

The look says it all – shut up Edge, I am trying to fly.

Nurburging Race Track

Others

A most enjoyable and well organised fly-out. :salut:

Would The Edge do one of these again? The jury is still out on this. The Edge is a shy person and being single, was conscious not to be a gooseberry. Having said that, whoever got lumbered with him, did make an effort to include him in the conversation etc.
The Grumpy Group got lumbered with the Edge on the Saturday night meal but they went out of there way to be hospitable and it was very entertaining listening to the stories and watching the interaction that only a tight group like this can produce. :D We are only sorry we did not have said camera with us.

In addition to this, a special thanks to Viv and Pete for allowing us to tag along with them on the cable way trip and again thanks for Iceman for joining us on the Sunday night for 1 of a few beers and a good chin wag!! Hic, The Edge likes putting the world to rights in a pub with convivial company. :clap:
By LysanderV8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good write-up Malcolm.

Not sure if I like my aircraft being called Shrek, but heh. The transponder is now fixed!

Richard
By Iceman
Bloomer wrote:Iceman, Jenny, John and PeteS

One thing that I learned this weekend was never to challenge Jenny to a German beer drinking competition :lol: :lol: :cheers: :cheers: :drunken: :drunken:

Nice writeup Bloomer the transponder slayer :pirat:

It was good having you along and thanks for the first class map reading.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rich T
Great write-up Bloomer! It was good to meet you.

Yvonne was most amused by your photo caption about self-anaesthesis. Despite every pilot she spoke to regaling her with tales of doom and disaster, I suspect she may have actually enjoyed the trip, except for the first leg in full-on IMC. We may even persuade her to do another trip, though I suspect she won't be doing a PPL any time soon :)
By MichaelP
Great write-up... Great trip!

I remember the apron at Calais well... Two of us, a Tiger Moth and an Auster, were parked where the TB20 is pictured, pointed into the strong wind.
Taxying was not an easy option and so we departed from there!

I once drove past Koblenz in my Viva Van on the autobahn... I had intended to night stop, but when I get going, I tend to keep going... 'Wish I'd stopped now!

I must get over for one of these trips... Perhaps I can borrow a Condor or a Mascaret for old times sake!
With respect, in this case you may wish to have a quick look at this thread:
https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=115768

I hope it explains why posting pics from this trip is appreciated by many, myself included.

Regards, SD..

PS Thanks for the pics FD.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this