Where have you been? What have you seen?
By ADP
Evening chaps,

How about a thread where pilots can share their experiences of their first solo/solo navigation flight? So to start, here is a rather long and drawn-out chronicle of my first solo navigation flight on the 14th of January 2007.

What a marvelous day! I went to Wellesbourne today to get my Meteorology exam out the way and to meet up with my friend Ralph, who is also a flier. So, first surprise of the day was that I had not only passed Met, the subject that I had always deemed to be a black art, but I in fact done rather well with a 95% pass mark! That was a pleasant surprise, but still didn
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Very nicely written.
My first solo navex was 37 years ago - but I remember every second of it.

Tom
By Rob P
Fond memories.

My first solo Navex was the exact same route in reverse, flying G-BKCY a PA38 on 10th December 1988.

The most memorable part for me was searching for Worcester on the nose and anxiously scanning the screen immediately over the coaming when a small puff of blue smoke belched out of the heater vents right in front of me.

That concentrated the mind.

After about three or four minutes I remembered that breathing was a good idea, after about five minutes and no further occurrence I thought I might possibly survive the day.

Landing back at Wellesbourne it was the first thing I mentioned to the venerable Capt Ions (The true model for Capt Jack Harness).

"Oh it does that some times" he said airily.

"Now how did the flight go?"

Rob P
By BlueRobin
Same club us three

First thing Capt Ions taught me is how to fly as slow as "South Warwicks' C152s" in the circuit

I'm checking out on WAVT tomorrow, Robin 160hp 8)
By ADP
Rob P and Bluerobin,

I have also been lucky enough to meet Capt Ions, a real gentleman i must say, but I unfortunately will not get the chance to fly with him as he has now finished instructional flying for good :(

Ah yes Victor Tango, a HR-200 with the right amount of power! Very good fun, although i'm training on the HR-200s which I think are brilliant, I had one lesson in the 2160i and it blew me away :D

ADP
By BlueRobin
I think my first solo navex was Moreton-Worcester-Kidderminster-return.

Rob and I had interesting qualifying cross-countries also, Rob more so...

Do you have the joys of Leciester to come, dear boy? Make sure they teach you the joy of slipping, correct approach speeds and runways inspections (low-approach/go-around). I hope standards haven't slipped! :D

Do you know the one about gripping the stick too hard? Or what happens to your gin in a balanced turn? Shame really but at least he's got his NPPL.

Yes I think I shall have fun in the R2160i, Maule-like performance, but with better manners :wink:
By Rob P
If you see Captain Ions do remember me to him.

Whenever people go on about the merits of a three week PPL in the States I just smile and think, "but they'll never now the enjoyment of spending over a year being dragged kicking and screaming towards competence by a character like Rick".

Not that there is a character like Rick anywhere. He's unique.

Rob P
By DennisThorne
My first solo had been hovering for 2-3 weeks now. I had had some trouble with landing, I got the approach right, the height, speed, etc, I had the right wing hard down and the rudder hard left as was fighting a vicious crosswind from the right which had persisted for the past 4 weekends and I had been up both Saturday and Sunday. I was going off to the US on holiday the following week and I REALLY wanted to get the solo before I left.
I had this problem in last seconds when I had to straighten the ailerons and the rudder to get down straight, near enough to the ground to not get blown away to the starboard side. I was actually doing ok but getting frustrated with myself in the immediate moment after touchdown. "What exactly do you think is the problem" asked Rick. "I just get it all wrong in the split second before we touchdown" I said. "You silly sod," said Rick" it is not like that at all, you ARE landing very well given the crosswind, you are cussing after the landing because you think it's not perfect enough for you. Calm yourself down and do it again."
Intense? What?
We climbed away and back into the right hand circuit. Rick gave me some more reassurance that my technique was very correct, and again told me to relax more. After endless goes at this it had been really tearing me up.
I turned on finals, and then something happened about 7-8 seconds from touchdown, as we passed over the nursery.
Radio "G-CY there is cat on the runway".
Rick instantly replied "Roger the cat". We both erupted with laughter, during which I made the most perfect greaser of a touchdown in my flying life. I did the solo on 2 days later.
Cheers Rick. You were magic old chum. What a fantastic professional, charming and funny gentleman.