Where have you been? What have you seen?
By ivanmia
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just a quick update on a trip I'd planned with a flying buddy before lockdown scuppered every ones plans.
Many thanks to the Flyer team as it won me a subscription to Skydemon which we'll be using a lot on this trip. Actually we already have as it's an absolute boon for not only the flight planning but the comments other pilots have posted that have visited the places along our route. We have also bought hard copies of charts of the countries that we'll be flying into.
Hopefully we'll be setting off on Saturday morning 21st May and the trip will be enjoyed and not rushed so we may not be back for a couple of weeks.
The planned route is Seething to Calais then one overnight stop at least in Troyes. Then overnight at Le Castellet with a lunch stop at Saint Rambert D'albon. We're hoping we can clear customs at Le Castellet for our next leg to Marina Di Campo. Eventually onto Lucca, as we know someone there, then across Italy with a customs clearance at Ancona/Falconara and onto Pula and the down the Dalmatian coast, with an occasional stop before arriving at Tivat.
The original idea was to stay at a property I owned in Kotor but that has since been sold however I have a very good friend in Tivat who is happy to accommodate us both.
We are very dependant on the weather as this trip is very much VFR so changes could be made on the hoof.
I will of course take pics and endeavour to keep a transit log for a write up when we return.
Please wish us luck and feel free to make suggestions that may help us on our way.
Cheers,
Ivan & Mike.
UncleT, Dman liked this
By Dave W
welkyboy wrote:...and do you need to clear customs between EU counties?

You don't. The EU Customs Union (EUCU) includes all member states of the EU:

EUCU wrote:A common tariff of customs dutiesis being used on imports from outside the EU and there are no customs duties levied at the borders between EU countries.

Duty on goods from outside the EU is generally paid when they first enter the EU.

From then on, there are no more customs duties to pay and no more customs checks will apply - all goods circulate freely within the EU Customs Union

(My bold)

Schengen and the EUCU mean that once inside both areas (there is a substantial but not exact overlap) the only paperwork consideration when flying between countries is the requirement for a Flightplan.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
welkyboy wrote:Le Castellet is expensive, and do you need to clear customs between EU counties?

Expensive (beyond belief) during major events, but reasonable the rest of the time. 12 euros for a PA28 Cherokee up to 3 hours or 27 euros overnight, all inclusive of landing, parking and passenger handling.
By ivanmia
Thanks for the replies and info guys. We were a bit confused as to whether we need customs clearance between schengen and non schengen. Hopefully not then.
Ivan
By Dave W
I should have added above "unless there's a relevant airfield NOTAM".

The French, for example, have sometimes temporarily re-introduced Border Controls (e.g. following terrorist attacks).

See this video for more background

There is currently such a NOTAM in force for La Rochelle, for example, requiring 48h prior notice to les Douaniers even for intra-Schengen flights. :(
By Geraint Pinches
I'm hoping to fly into Marina di Campo in a couple of weeks, so please do post about how you get on there and whether there are any gotchas I should know about!

Have an enjoyable, safe trip!
By ivanmia
Good morning Geraint, absolutely no Gotcha's at Marina di Campo. Everyone was very helpful. On approach to runway 34 over the sea the runway looks like it has an uphill slope but it doesn't it's completely flat.
Enjoy your time there. How long are you staying?
Ivan
Dave W liked this