Where have you been? What have you seen?
By ConcordeBA
After touring some of the UK airports, Newquay, Doncaster, Liverpool & Kemble utilising my Instrument Rating it was time to explore further afield, and with that came crossing international boundaries. I had amassed 14 hours of experience post IR issue and fancied a challenge.

The plan originally meant a short hop to Amsterdam in early September. This was cancelled, as the event in Utrecht that was originally due to take place in February 2021 was further delayed due to Coronavirus restrictions. I elected to fly to Liverpool instead as this was a simple practice run for the then-planned trip to Ibiza in October 2021.

Having visited the Balearics in July 2021, I realised quickly that this was going to become a pointless trip. Not only were restrictions back then creating a desert island, but the further closure of bars and nightclubs would make the visit unproductive. Whilst the island has far more to offer than just nightlife, it’s not the sort of trip we had in mind, and with other aspects getting in the way. I decided to delay till at least Spring 2022.

I reduced my booking of the aircraft to just a weekend and elected on either a 4-hour flight to Northern Spain or a short trip to Germany, with maybe a few big names to visit. I didn’t want to spend lots on flying because I’d already spent a fair amount in the previous 6 months so thus a trip to Dusseldorf followed by a trip to Hamburg came to mind.

Germany was closer to home than Spain and the thought of flying across the Bay of Biscay solo was a trip too far, along with not having a Little John purchased for the 4.5-hour journey my options were becoming quickly limited. After having contacted all the handling operators of Bilbao, I was left feeling a little deflated at the cost they wanted for the handling, especially as they have next to no business and I only required the basic handling package.

A weekend in one of Germany's bustling cities. I hope to make many more of these trip's in the future. This really is what the IR is designed for.

Read More: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/first-intll-ifr-trip/

TrickyWoo, Aerotech Flyer, Dave W and 1 others liked this
By ConcordeBA
Yes, beautiful at night.

Are you based in Dusseldorf? I may visit again soon as I enjoyed my time here. The GAT on the major airports side of things was reasonably priced for what you get.

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Picture of Königsallee or Kö, in DUS if I am not mistaken.

You should have called, we could have had a beer.

Germany is extremely GA friendly where apart from the fuel, most things GA are at the more affordable side of the monetary spectrum.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Another excellent, enjoyable video:

I applaud your one-man crusade to introduce IFR flight to GA pilots.

Instrument flight as you have demonstrated over the last coupla years in your 'progress-series' of videos really is reachable and the results of attaining the full IR are truly liberating.. :thumright:
Danny, ConcordeBA liked this
ConcordeBA wrote:Not only were restrictions back then creating a desert island, but the further closure of bars and nightclubs would make the visit unproductive.

Great choice of words - fully agree! My meetings at work would be a lot more productive if they involved bars and nightclubs.
ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
flyingearly wrote:
ConcordeBA wrote:Not only were restrictions back then creating a desert island, but the further closure of bars and nightclubs would make the visit unproductive.

Great choice of words - fully agree! My meetings at work would be a lot more productive if they involved bars and nightclubs.

Hahah! The whole point of travelling that far was the excitement the destination offers :lol:

That'll be an interesting report if it happens. :thumleft:

PeteSpencer wrote:Another excellent, enjoyable video:

I applaud your one-man crusade to introduce IFR flight to GA pilots.

Instrument flight as you have demonstrated over the last coupla years in your 'progress-series' of videos really is reachable and the results of attaining the full IR are truly liberating.. :thumright:

Thanks Pete. It definitely is a reachable goal, if you put your mind to it. It's now hoped that I can share what it means to do IR flying, and this is a start. Hoping to include some more human element and planning/technical stuff in these vlogs if people wanna see that.