Where have you been? What have you seen?
By ConcordeBA
A trip that was many years in the making. Planning my first IFR trip.

This was a brilliant little run, it helped me understand some of the setup of the London TMA and how they integrate a light aircraft wishing to fly from A to B in IFR conditions. There’s a lot more to it than meets the eye in your training and the theory prepares you for nothing of what the real world entails.

I suspect in the future I need more time to do my planning, and I need to be a bit better with my timing. I took a lot away from this flight and how the aircraft performs in this environment for any future trips or flights I plan.

FlyNQY was brilliant as usual, and the fees are within a reasonable amount expected for a large international airport. I’m more capable than I give myself credit for. I am confident but not overconfident and this was a great little trip and forever a small amount of that steep learning curve has been traveled.

Have a read of the write up here of my experience on my first IFR trip: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/planning-the-first-ifr/

Any suggestions or proof-reading welcome;

Outbound Flight-

Return flight-

Last edited by ConcordeBA on Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ConcordeBA
A fairly quick flight back from Newquay to London. Climbing up to FL110 into one of the world’s busiest TMA’s and hitting over 200mph as we fly back with a flight time almost 1 hour quicker than the morning.

The sunset on this flight home was magical…

By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The next mission would be Amsterdam Schiphol. Everything else becomes smaller from then onwards! :D
Flyingfemme, Ibra liked this
By Ibra
James Chan wrote:The next mission would be Amsterdam Schiphol. Everything else becomes smaller from then onwards! :D

I think Schiphol is probably the busiest runway accessible to GA for less than 100£, it can also hold SEP/SET on it’s pavement without breaking (apparently Heathrow runways can’t hold single fixed wings)

If one is after the longest runway, Luxembourg & Luqa comes to my mind, the latter is used by flex wings probably not enough for hot days takeoff 2pob at MTOW in microlights :lol:
By M609
Ibra wrote:
James Chan wrote:The next mission would be Amsterdam Schiphol. Everything else becomes smaller from then onwards! :D

I think Schiphol is probably the busiest runway accessible to GA for less than 100£, it can also hold SEP/SET on it’s pavement without breaking (apparently Heathrow runways can’t hold single fixed wings)

If one is after the longest runway, Luxembourg & Luqa comes to my mind, the latter is used by flex wings probably not enough for hot days takeoff 2pob at MTOW in microlights :lol:

Actually……they have 6 runways to handle approx 968 daily movements last week. Oslo has 2 runways to handle 526. And it´s only about 38€ with the with terminal and parking :mrgreen:
Ibra liked this