Where have you been? What have you seen?
By ChrisR
Hello FLYERs,

Happy to share a video of our latest trip around Spain, Gibraltar, Portugal, France.. basically going southwest from EDSB, until we ran out of soil.

Full tour: EDSB - LEAP - LESB - LEMU - LEAM - LXGB - LPPM - LECN - LFMP - (LFLY)
- EDSB

I hope you like it :)

archerflyer, Dman, dppintr liked this
By Rob L
Lovely cinematography! I do like the C182RG; it looks very good in the air. Like a float-plane missing the floats!

I've done the same "not below 500 foot" at Gibraltar (at their invitation!) in my little 1946 Taylorcraft.
By ChrisR
Thank you :) I think there are places that simply are special, and you notice why when you get there. Imho LXGB definitely falls into that category. Like any other destinations, it requires proper planning and preparation, especially on wind. It got quite obvious why, once we saw the scenery ;)

But I believe this is well-known.
By Rob L
Castellón de la Plana (LECN) was one of my favourites; staying in the Club de Golf.

San Sebastián (LESO) too, although a long way from the town of its name.

Santa Cruz in Portugal (LPSC) was a delight, being very private but having received permission.

Many happy memories!
Rob
By akg1486
If I relocate after retirement (still a good while away), southern Germany would be a good place: you can reach most of Europe in a light GA aircraft in a day or two, so ideal base for flying holidays. :thumleft:
By ChrisR
Thanks Flyer.ch - It was mixed VFR & IFR. Weather was OK for the most part, but it seemed we were having at least a 20kts headwind no matter the direction ;) Also IFR came in handy (I don't have a rating, but Dennis does) in several situations. E.g. departing LESB with low ceiling.

During that time there were heavy thunderstorms in southern Germany, so we needed to wait it out almost 2 days before heading back home. There are less beautiful places to be stuck than Costa Brava, right? ;)

Many legs were basically VFR following the coastline, which it seems is how ATC likes it anyway.

@Rob L Santa Cruz actually was on the list. But as Lissabon closed down for that weekend because of.. you know, the big C.. we decided to head back home.

Also fascinating (at least for me): Approaching LEAP, absolutely zero wind and gusts in 2000ft, inversion at 900ft (see the cloud layer in the video) - below that gusty, sea wind and pretty uncomfortable. That difference and the clear separation was surprising.

@akg1486 Agreed, many places are in reach from EDSB. A bit over an hour and you reach the Alpes.
Rob L, Flyer.ch liked this