Where have you been? What have you seen?
By davenuk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hello,

I went to Wadswick last week, I wont bore you with all the details but -

My low hours of less than 12, mostly circuits and local nav, since passing my GST

Having only landed on grass twice

Statements like this on their website - "Pilots used to flying only from licenced airfields may find the approaches intimidating. "

made me a little nervous :)

anyway, I ran the numbers and talked it out with a few people including my instructor and gave it a whirl.

I can honestly say that I couldn't of realistically expected any better of my landing that day, having got it down and stopped with almost no wind in under 250m, I was happy with that.

Wadswick itself is a very nice country store, with a gun room, fancy cafe and friendly staff.

Bought some nice socks and a selection of jam.

cheers!

Dave
Dodo, archerflyer, Rob P and 6 others liked this
By Iceman
It’s a great place with some neat little hangars. The restaurant does some good food. I went around on my first approach in the TB20; the second approach was no problem.

Iceman 8)
By davenuk
Iceman wrote:It’s a great place with some neat little hangars. The restaurant does some good food. I went around on my first approach in the TB20; the second approach was no problem.

Iceman 8)

I had already decided if I go around twice - I'm going home :)
Iceman, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Capt Edmund
Lovely little strip. Great to drop in with a PA28 on the way back from Compton Abbas, and good for a dog walk when I used to live round the corner. The sort of quiet little destination I love!
davenuk, Nick liked this
By Flying badger
I'm actually flying in to Wadswick tomorrow. There doesn't seem to be anyone there that can tell me, before I take off, which runway they're using. Did you just guess from the wind at takeoff time... or is a windsock flyby required?
Plus any other tips/gotchas would be appreciated.
By Paul_Sengupta
What I used to do approaching Bourne Park was to turn onto runway heading, either 110 or 290. I'd then check the ground speed vs. IAS and could see if there was a head or tail wind. I would then decide which runway to land on.
flybymike liked this
By malcolmfrost
Flying badger  wrote:I'm actually flying in to Wadswick tomorrow. There doesn't seem to be anyone there that can tell me, before I take off, which runway they're using. Did you just guess from the wind at takeoff time... or is a windsock flyby required?

The runway they are using is the one you decide to use at low traffic farm strips! Overfly the field, check the windsock, listen out/transmit on Colerne frequency 120.075 for Wadswick Traffic and go for it. Be prepared to throw it away if it feels too quick and maybe do a teardrop onto the reciprocal.
https://www.wadswick.co.uk/wadswick-airfield
Last edited by malcolmfrost on Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Iceman
@Flying badger , use a combination of what you expect the runway to be from nearby METARs and a flypast on the runway to observe the windsock. Flying at ninety degrees to the runway with the windsock visible will then naturally position yourself for an overhead join.

Iceman 8)
By russp
Flying badger  wrote:I'm actually flying in to Wadswick tomorrow. There doesn't seem to be anyone there that can tell me, before I take off, which runway they're using. Did you just guess from the wind at takeoff time... or is a windsock flyby required?

Went there for the first time on Monday - We landed 10 after a downwind join as that's what we took off on at base but the wind on the ground there was non existent. I think I'd choose to land uphill on 28 if there's any doubt but my little thing if landed right doesn't reach the downslope. Was very quiet on the ground and on the radio. Oh and if using 10 stay south of the big hall place that you're requested not to overfly and not north like I did or you'll end up with a very offset approach!

Here is the approach to 10
By Flying badger
Fantastic replies all!
I always get a little nervous and over-cautious landing anywhere first time (especially with my wife sat next to me), that was just what I needed, cheers!
By akg1486
Flying badger  wrote:I always get a little nervous and over-cautious landing anywhere first time

That's much better than the opposite: being over-confident. :thumleft: Glad you had a nice day out!
Flying badger  liked this
By BoltonPaul
Flying badger  wrote:Fantastic replies all!
I always get a little nervous and over-cautious landing anywhere first time (especially with my wife sat next to me), that was just what I needed, cheers!

Thanks for sharing - this is on my list to visit.
G-BLEW, Flying badger  liked this
By Peter Gristwood
I went in a week ago. Really nice place and worth a visit. Interesting to see a place where aviation seems cheap!

The forecast wind favoured 10, but we found the windsock lied and we had a pure xwind. All went well, but looking back, landing uphill would probably have been better.

There was a group of twitchers waiting for the overflight of the Red Arrows, but they didn't show at the specified time. We waited 25 minutes then launched - no sign of them - but had hoped to have joined the formation for a mile or so