Where have you been? What have you seen?
By flyingearly
Can I just say that I love these 360 degree swivel camera views - they just make the videos look so much more engaging and interesting. I've never used one so no idea how you actually set them up, but the fact it rotated fully and then stayed positioned in the right spot for the landing is great - do you have to trigger the rotation from your phone or is it automatic somehow?
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
If anyone is visiting Wadswick and sees someone who looks a bit like FLYER's Editor… feel free to say hi… I'm occasionally found down by the hangars, or passing through the coffee shop :)
G-BLEW, davenuk liked this
By Jon G4LJW
flyingearly wrote:Can I just say that I love these 360 degree swivel camera views - they just make the videos look so much more engaging and interesting. I've never used one so no idea how you actually set them up, but the fact it rotated fully and then stayed positioned in the right spot for the landing is great - do you have to trigger the rotation from your phone or is it automatic somehow?

The entire 360 view is recorded. So, they can be viewed with Virtual Reality goggles, or you choose the views when you edit the footage - selecting panning and tilting etc, and this can be exported as a "normal" video file.
TopCat liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
EdH  wrote:If anyone is visiting Wadswick and sees someone who looks a bit like FLYER's Editor… feel free to say hi… I'm occasionally found down by the hangars, or passing through the coffee shop :)

Generally to be found next to an RV somethingorother I would have thought...
By TopCat
I called in there this afternoon. Sandwich and a cup of tea. Very nice.

No idea why the web site refers to the approaches as 'intimidating' - the 28 approach at least is no different to anywhere else.

The only thing that might catch out the unwary is that the strip has no markings, and I don't think it's as wide as the claimed 25m. But it's reasonably obvious given the shorter grass, wide enough, and in good condition.

So an upvote from me.
davenuk liked this
By Iceman
@TopCat, was the unloved Cessna 337 still parked up at the eastern end, opposite the hangars ?

Iceman 8)
By TopCat
Iceman wrote:@TopCat, was the unloved Cessna 337 still parked up at the eastern end, opposite the hangars ?

Not that I saw. There was a red tailwheel something or other parked when I arrived, up at the western end north of the strip in the parking area, but it was gone when I left.

The eastern end was pretty deserted. I did the run up outside the hangars, didn't see anything. It would have been on the north side of the strip if anywhere, but I wasn't really paying attention, sorry.

ETA.... I've just looked up Cessna 337. Twin tail, push-pull thing? I'd have noticed something like that I think, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't there.
Iceman liked this
By EdH
TopCat wrote:I called in there this afternoon. Sandwich and a cup of tea. Very nice.

No idea why the web site refers to the approaches as 'intimidating' - the 28 approach at least is no different to anywhere else.

The only thing that might catch out the unwary is that the strip has no markings, and I don't think it's as wide as the claimed 25m. But it's reasonably obvious given the shorter grass, wide enough, and in good condition.

So an upvote from me.

To be fair, I watched your approach and landing and it was a great demonstration of good strip flying technique, so you clearly know your stuff :)

Good note re. the runway width. I'll flag that up to the operator, as it's definitely not 25m.
By TopCat
EdH  wrote:
TopCat wrote:I called in there this afternoon. Sandwich and a cup of tea. Very nice.

So an upvote from me.

To be fair, I watched your approach and landing and it was a great demonstration of good strip flying technique, so you clearly know your stuff :)

Most kind <blush>.

Where were you? I'm really sorry we didn't meet!
By TopCat
malcolmfrost wrote:Google maps makes it around 15mx625m :D

That sounds about right. My wingspan is about 30 feet, and I reckoned there was a comfortable couple of meters either side or maybe a shade more.

There's nothing right at the edges of the strip that would punish not being bang on the centre-line, however, not that that's a reason not to aim for the middle.
By Iceman
I think that it was the slightly high hedge at the eastern end that precipitated my go-around, but nailed it on the second approach.

Iceman 8)
By TopCat
Iceman wrote:I think that it was the slightly high hedge at the eastern end that precipitated my go-around, but nailed it on the second approach.

Damn sight better than not going around and ending up in a heap at the western end.
Iceman liked this
By EdH
TopCat wrote:Most kind <blush>.

Another time! I was down at the hangars when you arrived having a tinkering day - I had to leave though before you departed. I did see Bentwings of this parish, in his Carbon Cub, when he wandered down before getting lunch.
By TopCat
EdH  wrote:
TopCat wrote:Most kind <blush>.

Another time! I was down at the hangars when you arrived having a tinkering day - I had to leave though before you departed. I did see Bentwings of this parish, in his Carbon Cub, when he wandered down before getting lunch.

Ah yes. I did take a pic of the tailwheel aircraft I parked next to! The reg was visible in the photo, so I've looked it up now :)