Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The first time I flew over Chatsworth was back when Sheffield City airport was still open, but slated for closure. I flew up from the South coast via Kinder Scout and flew overhead the Chatsworth Estate by co-incidence rather than planning and it took me completely by surprise - so incongruous in the wild terrain on the edge of the peak District. I have been back a few times since but never actually visited on the ground.
T6Harvard, Hazel C liked this
By seanxair
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:I have been back a few times since but never actually visited on the ground.

Well worth visiting for the horse trials, country fair or flower show. Probably other things on as well. There was quite a good series on tv recently about a year in Chatsworth
Hazel C liked this
By Morten
T6Harvard wrote:IIRC, Bess of Hardwick was instrumental in the building of Chatsworth. Her story is fascinating, as is Hardwick Hall, a few miles away
(Old Bess was one hell of a woman...) +1 for Hardwick Hall - more glass than wall - and, while you're in the neighbourhood, Kedleston is worth visiting for the curved floorboards in the hallway alone. Neither is quite of Chatsworth dimensions but as memorable and both are, in a way, much friendlier/approachable than Chatsworth.

(edit - I'm not dissing Chatsworth, just pointing out other interesting local places)
Hazel C liked this
By BobD
Hazel C wrote:My favourite evening bimble is to go via Newark, Bolsover, Chesterfield to the Derbyshire hills. Chatsworth, Bakewell and Eyam this evening.

It was gorgeous!

My favourite currency flight if I haven't flown in a few weeks, or to take someone for their first flight in a small aircraft, is Gamston - Ladybower - Chatsorth - Gamston ( the Dambusters run).

About 45 minutes of stunning beauty.
By Hazel C
T6Harvard wrote:IIRC, Bess of Hardwick was instrumental in the building of Chatsworth. Her story is fascinating, as is Hardwick Hall, a few miles away.

Thanks for posting the pic, @Hazel C

Pleasure T6Havard. Yep, flew over Hardwick Hall too, as my friend/colleague pax lives in Mansfield and it of course is very close. Flew over Bolsover Castle too. Been past it a few times, but never visited.

Its been a few years since I visited Chatsworth on teh ground, so cannot remember much about the house, but the grounds are beautiful. There are fountains in that lake in front of the house sometimes (not on the other day), and that stepped waterfall is stunning when in use.

A colleague has been to the flower shows, apparently the show is an excellent rival for Chelsea! Time it right, and cheap plants too :wink:
Last edited by Hazel C on Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hazel C
BobD wrote:
My favourite currency flight if I haven't flown in a few weeks, or to take someone for their first flight in a small aircraft, is Gamston - Ladybower - Chatsorth - Gamston ( the Dambusters run).

About 45 minutes of stunning beauty.

The Dambusters Run is definitely on my "to do" list! I now have four friends wanting to do it, having had the "Derbyshire hills taster"! Didnt get as far as Ladybower the other evening, but saw it on the nose...

That sounds an excellent first light aircraft flight @BobD and one of the reasons I use Chatsworth/Eyam/Matlock too quite apart from liking it myself! The Lincs coast is ok too, but not quite as pretty.....
By Hazel C

...and another of Chatsworth in the centre distance and Eyam just by the leading edge...to whet the appetite of those who have not yet had the pleasure :D

ps, for clarity, my passenger took these pics!
T6Harvard liked this
By flighty tyke
The Dambusters Run is definitely on my "to do" list! I now have four friends wanting to do it, having had the "Derbyshire hills taster"! Didnt get as far as Ladybower the other evening, but saw it on the nose...

The Dams run in Germany is even better! :wink:
Hazel C liked this
By Hazel C
flighty tyke wrote:The Dambusters Run is definitely on my "to do" list! I now have four friends wanting to do it, having had the "Derbyshire hills taster"! Didnt get as far as Ladybower the other evening, but saw it on the nose...

The Dams run in Germany is even better! :wink:

Oooh yes, I bet! One of my friends flew over the Mohne in a VC-10....... 8)
flighty tyke liked this