Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Rob L
That's a lovely trip report (I've flown to Paderborn too!) :thumright:

But I must confess that I prefer to make each trip report suit the platform/forum upon which it to be read, rather than idly give a link.

Rob L
dppintr liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
dppintr wrote:Our son was back for a few days to return a glider. On Saturday, we took a flight in a motor plane around Thuringia.
ImageSoaring over the Alps
-o-o-

I was wondering where you would find the landscape shown above over Thüringen...?
Thüringen has its charms - Blutwurst and Bierschinken spring to mind - but alpine it is not!

I like your reports and am often inspired by your flights but that front photo is a bit of click bait... :D :wink:
dppintr liked this
By akg1486
Morten wrote:Thüringen has its charms - Blutwurst and Bierschinken spring to mind - but alpine it is not!

I agree to that! However, the "mountain" range going from east to west can cause issues: clouds tend to "stick" to them. I once had to do a precautionary landing at Allstedt (the former military base mentioned in the trip report) when en route to Weimar from the north. The weather had been clear all the way from Barth (on the Baltic coast) to Magdeburg and then the cloud base went down as the terrain went up. After waiting 20 minutes, and making a quick phone call to our friends who had managed to find a hole, we did a new attempt and got through without problems.

Skydemon was a really good help that time: I would not have prepared with paper plates for Allstedt. My plan B would probably have been to go all the way back to Magdeburg.