Where have you been? What have you seen?
By akg1486
Sadly, I missed the opportunity to join these two recent fly-ins. But even watching the video is fun!

Morten, T6Harvard liked this
By akg1486
The video is by a young friend of mine, so I can't take any credit. Feel free to "like, comment, susbscribe" on his YT-channel. He's got several nice videos, some of which I've posted here.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fantastic! Thanks for posting. @akg1486 Where are the lakes? (An old friend of mine lives by a lake in Sweden and told me that there are sometime fly-ins on it in winter...)
By akg1486
They are both in West Sweden, around an hour from Gothenburg. I did a few ice landings some ten years ago: we had some cold winters. This is really the first time since then it's been possible so far south.

I did one landing once on a lake where there was no snow at all on the ice. That was pretty cool; very hard to judge the height. Obviously you need plenty of "runway": just steer straight and don't break. During takeoff you need to add power with care. You really feel the gyroscopic forces on ice.

Edit: for these ice fly-ins, someone needs to check the thickness in advance with a drill. You really don't want to go through the ice...
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@akg1486 My friend is by Lake Siljan -- on my list of places to visit (though flying there will have to wait until the LAPL thing is worked out…)
By akg1486
nallen wrote:@akg1486 My friend is by Lake Siljan -- on my list of places to visit (though flying there will have to wait until the LAPL thing is worked out…)

That's some two hours flight from where we are. It's a big lake and normally colder than here. There's an annual ice fly-in every year (when possible) that's really big. Do a web search on "Rättvik fly-in" and you'll find videos.
nallen liked this