Where have you been? What have you seen?
Unless you are interested in WW2 Pathfinder Force relics, quite a bit of the wartime infrastructure existed the last time I visited. This including one of the MT sheds were my dad served out the last year or so of his contribution to defeating Adolf.

Rob P
2Donkeys liked this
I think Denny Dobson used to inhabit the watch tower (proper terminology), but my memory is pretty hazy.

It should still be there as it is Grade II listed, but that can't always be relied on.

Rob P
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well that's a coincidence! Denny's airshow compadre, Will Curtiss, was P1 in the aforementioned Airvan (he was being evaluated at the time!) when I had a ride in 2019. It was only afterwards that I realised we'd had a sedate flight from a very aerobatic driver 8)
By PeteSpencer
T6Harvard wrote:Well that's a coincidence! Denny's airshow compadre, Will Curtiss, was P1 in the aforementioned Airvan (he was being evaluated at the time!) when I had a ride in 2019. It was only afterwards that I realised we'd had a sedate flight from a very aerobatic driver 8)

Will Curtis! Now there's a name to conjure with: He was my PPL instructor in 1992/3 at Ipswich for 96% of my flights.

Great bloke: went on to much higher things IIRC.
Peter
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
He was indeed a very nice chap. He took time to chat to my little niece and was very self-effacing when he explained that normally there'd only be one pilot but we were lucky because if anything happen to our flight we'd also have (Nick?) who was evaluating him and was a great pilot.
When later researching for the photobook of our wing-wing Spitfire experience, I saw the YouTube of Will's Su26 about 18' above the runway INVERTED.
Kinda glad I didn't see that before our flight :lol:
2Donkeys, flybymike liked this
By T6Harvard
Paul_Sengupta wrote:You might want to be careful about mentioning Will Curtis around these parts, especially in relation to Biggin Hill!

Now should I explain....?

The only thing I read indicated that he has an incredible head for business mainly redeveloping airfields, so my guess is that GA was not top priority? Perhaps not re-open that can of worms??