Where have you been? What have you seen?
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It has been forever since my last IFR video. For those who are interested, here is my latest production. Yesterday's flight up from Cambridge to Doncaster (Robin Hood) International airport!

No COVID rules were infringed in the production of this video!
cjrpaterson, Iceman, mick w and 8 others liked this
By 2Donkeys
Iceman wrote:I always imagine Hadrian’s Wall being a little further north :lol:.

I must visit Doncaster soon. I’ve only ever been in to the old Sheffield Airport with Timothy.

Iceman 8)

I remember Sheffield City airport well. I took my Baron in there a couple of times. Would have been very handy when my daughter was studying at Sheffield. Doncaster was always a bit of a schlep!
Iceman liked this
Nice video as always, @2Donkeys.

I remember flying in and out of the other Doncaster airfield in the late 80s.

Last time I flew into this particular Doncaster airfield it was called RAF Finningley. I'm old enough to remember the Robin Hood song, too. :thumleft:
2Donkeys liked this
By BobD
Nice clear instructional video :thumleft:

My only experience of flying into Doncaster was on this day last year. On a return flight from Elvington to Gamston, the weather closed in suddenly, so I made my first ( and only to date) weather diversion to Doncaster. A very professional service from them got me in with a minimum of fuss.
I couldn't recover to Gamsto the following day as at least Gamston ( maybe both) were closed for New Years day but I completed the recovery on 2nd. The only charge was £10 for the additional days parking, a bargain for the experience and peace of mind from a potentially very stressful situation.

Thank goodness for the Strasser Scheme.
2Donkeys, mick w, A le Ron and 1 others liked this
By 2Donkeys
cjrpaterson wrote:Very interesting video. Is it normal for London Control to only offer a Basic Service for IFR outside controlled airspace?

It seems to depend on the whim of the individual controller (and presumably their workload and your position). My experience is that smaller traffic like me tends to get a basic service from London Control until inside controlled airspace. Where the initial call is to an agency like Essex Radar (for Cambridge BKY and ADNAM departures), you tend to come directly under a Traffic Service before being cleared into controlled airspace.

Scottish control seems to be far more happy to offer a Traffic Service outside controlled airspace (and there is an example of just that in my video). I assume that this is a function of Scottish's greater comfort with blurring the edges between their own class G, E and A airspace.
By 2Donkeys
cjrpaterson wrote:I see, thanks. Would anything have changed (in your planning, or in their willingness to offer a service) if you’d been IMC at the time?

I suspect not. They don't know (and don't care about) my flight conditions. I am IFR, so I shouldn't either.

London Control may well be operating under instructions to offer Basic service only to non-Commercial air traffic outside controlled airspace, the outcome is so consistent. Scottish seem to be operating under different rules. Perhaps one of our resident air traffickers can offer a view.
cjrpaterson liked this
2D Many thanks. A couple of queries if I may.

1. Can you advise your thoughts on icing for this trip. is the a/c equipped for FIKI? If not, there was light rain on departure and you would (I assume!) be passing through the freezing level. Is the theory that the cloud layer was thin enough for any accumulation not to be significant?

2. On approach and arrival electronics/avionics showed distance to destination increasing from 150nm to 159nm. How can it get you on the ground if it thinks you're 150 plus nm away? Schrodingers navigation?

Many thanks

Charles.
By 2Donkeys
Charles Hunt wrote:
1. Can you advise your thoughts on icing for this trip. is the a/c equipped for FIKI? If not, there was light rain on departure and you would (I assume!) be passing through the freezing level. Is the theory that the cloud layer was thin enough for any accumulation not to be significant?

2. On approach and arrival electronics/avionics showed distance to destination increasing from 150nm to 159nm. How can it get you on the ground if it thinks you're 150 plus nm away? Schrodingers navigation?

Many thanks

Charles.

2 is a shorter answer than 1. This issue seems to be a Foreflight anomaly when "Activate Vectors to Final" is select on the panel. The revised route (or something a little like it) is downloaded to Foreflight with the effect of replacing the original flight plan with one which contains your origin and the main points of the instrument approach. (IAF, FAF, CF, holds and MA). The active route segment seems to be selected to be the initial EGSC to IAF (or similar), which as seen from your position near the destination, leads to a distance to destination of the 150 odd miles you see. It can be fixed by selecting the right current route segment, but since I am navigating off the panel, I don't/didn't bother.

1 I use a variety of models and tools to attempt to understand the cloud layers and likely icing risk. In no particular order, I look at Skew-T projections, Windy, Autorouter GRAMET and Foreflight's own icing prediction. Within those tools (where possible), I look at the outcomes with different models - ICON being my favourite where cloud/ice is concerned. The aircraft is not known FIKI, so where thin stratiform cloud with small droplets is predicted for a quick climb or descent, I will accept the route. Where cumuliform cloud is predicted and/or a sustained climb/descent in cloud, I will decline. Weighing in on that will be. amongst many factors, the consistency or otherwise of the predictions from different models, and the availability of above-zero air for at least the first 2000 feet above terrain.

A short answer to quite an interesting question. I hope I have done it justice.
johnm, Rob P, ellomoto liked this