Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks for the write up, a few new airfield to look out for there. I might have to try Girona again as we missed out on the more ‘cultural’ aspects of the old town by indulging in the somewhat more raucous shenanigans at the nearby Lloret de Mar :D.

Do you fly from the main international airport in Geneva ? I’ve been in there a couple of times.

Iceman 8)
Flyer.ch liked this
By Flyer.ch
T6Harvard wrote:@Flyer.ch

What a delightful trip report! Thank you.

Thank you for the kind words @T6Harvard ! Very glad you enjoyed it!
By Flyer.ch
Hi @Iceman ,

Lol don't know Lloret de Mar, but old Girona definitely worth a visit.

Yes I fly out of lsgg. Not sure when you were there last time, but, sadly, they closed the grass runway for good, a couple of years ago (after some 70 years of existence) and now we share the one runway with the big guys. We're not exactly high on the pecking order but overall there's good cohabitation, can't complain. Though 2020 has seen a huge drop in airline traffic; now is a good time to come visit us!
By Iceman
My last visit was in a Seneca in about 2004, using the hard runway. I’ve also used the grass runway for local flights to Wagen Lachen. It’s a shame that the grass runway has now gone. Make the most of the commercial downturn to get a bit further up the pecking order, for a while at least. I’m long overdue for another trip to Switzerland. The closest that I normally get is Friedrichshafen for the show each year, the Alps forming a spectacular backdrop as we are vectored in by Zurich normally. I’ve also done St. Gallen and Samedan in the Seneca on another trip and would love to return to Samedan in particular. The last time I was there, it was late August, and it snowed overnight, making the departure even more spectacular.

Iceman 8)
By Flyer.ch
Iceman wrote:My last visit was in a Seneca in about 2004, using the hard runway. I’ve also used the grass runway for local flights to Wagen Lachen. It’s a shame that the grass runway has now gone. Make the most of the commercial downturn to get a bit further up the pecking order, for a while at least. I’m long overdue for another trip to Switzerland. The closest that I normally get is Friedrichshafen for the show each year, the Alps forming a spectacular backdrop as we are vectored in by Zurich normally. I’ve also done St. Gallen and Samedan in the Seneca on another trip and would love to return to Samedan in particular. The last time I was there, it was late August, and it snowed overnight, making the departure even more spectacular.

Iceman 8)

These are some nice airfields you've visited. Wangen Lachen is practically sitting on the lake with a beautiful approach on 08. I haven't been to Samedan yet. It now requires a familiarisation with a local FI. We're spoilt for choice here. You should try Saanen, Bex, Gruyère... Let me know if you need any help/info.

Yes, these days flying out of Geneva is a surreal experience for GA. It's practically an aerodrome. I was once asked which runway I preferred! I had to pinch myself.
Flyin'Dutch', Iceman liked this
By Flyer.ch
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I long upheld it as an example of what is possible if people are willing to work together.

When did the gliding move?

That was a while back, actually. But you are still correct in your insight; there was good collaboration between all parties to find a solution (with the understanding it had to move).

In general, there's also good collaboration with, and integration of, GA, within a relatively busy airport.
Flyin'Dutch', Iceman liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Iceman wrote:Lloret de Mar

I've been on holiday there. Well, I say holiday, I think it was two nights in the off season. There was one hotel and one restaurant open.

Flyer.ch wrote:Gruyère

Don't let the holes line up!