Where have you been? What have you seen?
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
13 months is a bit long to wait before claiming one's birthday aerobatics voucher really, especially when one's currency even beforehand had huge whomping gaps because of engine stoppages and mechanical woes and weather grief and then spring came and there was a global sodding pandemic to get in the way...

I'm not sure even now if we're not in a brief window to scramble to flying before it all goes pants again but I squeezed this in and it's been a real lift. (pun not exactly intended, but accepted)

There's a lot of babbling about it here, but the short version is Ultimate High don't half live up to their reputation! :D :D

I have an new itch that must be scratched. Not quite sure yet how I'll fit it in with time and finances but...

You know how when you start flying at all, that glee that you can make this Actual Real Flying Machine do things...? Even if they’re wobbly ropey things at first and then you see them getting a bit less wobbly and then you can see what you need to do do make them less wobbly even if your head and hands and feet are not quite caught up with the reality your eyes are noticing in order order to actually achieve that...?

Especially on a second go, aeros feels like that again, all fresh and new, and it’s lovely. I'm a little bit entranced by the whole thing.

Rob P, Colonel Panic, johnm and 14 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Ah, Leiafee! A good opportunity to thank you for your brilliant write up on learning, stickied in student thread.

I am going to quote your para above to MrT6, about the feeling when you start flying, it is soooo true. I have a massive 2 hours in my logbook but the first 20 mins of sitting in a light ac was aerobatics and that's what got me hooked.

Thanks for sharing the joy!
By leiafee
T6Harvard wrote:Ah, Leiafee! A good opportunity to thank you for your brilliant write up on learning, stickied in student thread.

I may need to reread it myself if I find myself back on a leanring curve :wink:

I am going to quote your para above to MrT6, about the feeling when you start flying, it is soooo true. I have a massive 2 hours in my logbook but the first 20 mins of sitting in a light ac was aerobatics and that's what got me hooked.

Come to think of it my first flight with hands on controls was also a birthday present. It's a trap ;-)
T6Harvard liked this
By leiafee
flybymike wrote: :think:
:pukel:

That video was the return visit - I called halt through brain melt on that day rather than any wooziness though - and in any case I found barrel rolls easier on the senses than loops overall.

I've been lucky so far - I have managed to make myself properly airsick on at least one past occasion and experienced it to a lesser greater once as a passenger - not doing aeros either time though. It seems to be unbalanced flight that gets to me. The first time was someone else flying and being a bit heavy footed while I was navigating in not-great vis, and the other time was my own rubbishy cackhanded stall recoveries while converting to type doing tailwheel.

I learned from that one and was considerably more measured in my control inputs doing an 'upset' or two this time round!
T6Harvard, mick w, AndyR liked this
By WelshRichy
Welcome back Leia! Been missing your write ups. :D

What a wonderful experience you had and I expect a new EASA Aerobatic Rating is on the cards... I still fondly remember the time we dropped in to visit Paul who took us for a view of the world upside down in his Bulldog. Absolutely marvellous but fifteen years on I'm still on the brink of signing up for a course... you've just with your write up and little video renewed the itch! :lol:
Paul_Sengupta liked this
welcome back! Your blog has been properly recommended on the Forums to a few beginners or newly qualified who were getting disheartened. Hope you'll again be a regular. Nid oeddem ni ddim yn anghofio
Dave W, leiafee liked this
By leiafee
WelshRichy wrote:What a wonderful experience you had and I expect a new EASA Aerobatic Rating is on the cards... I still fondly remember the time we dropped in to visit Paul who took us for a view of the world upside down in his Bulldog. Absolutely marvellous but fifteen years on I'm still on the brink of signing up for a course... you've just with your write up and little video renewed the itch! :lol:

I'm trying to arrange a job lot of Old Park crew to go down as a group - maybe it's time for another Flyer one as well :)
WelshRichy, kanga liked this
By T6Harvard
Great write up, Leia, thank you very much!
I am right at the beginning of the student journey but have enough prior learning to appreciate your comments on what was happening at each point. You always demonstrate how much fun is to be had, as well as the challenges of learning something new and improving!

May I ask a question on the back of your thread?

Roughly what is the g-force in one of those loops? I know it varies during the loop, but what's the likely max? Let's say entering it at 160 kts.

Have had one aeros flight experience and never thought to ask at the time, was too busy grinning like the Cheshire cat :x
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Though it can vary, so I've heard...

I seem to recall my outing with Greeners in the 300 maxxing at either 5.5 or 6G with him flying, he then cruelly demonstrated high negative G, -3.5G as my memory has it, and I hated it! I decided then that I don't do negative G.

Rob P