Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For many years - call it decades - I have wanted to visit Lundy by air. For me, there's something about islands that makes them perfect for GA (assuming a runway!), but Lundy has always had to me that little bit of mystery and whiff of hazard about it.

That's probably because the strip is quite short (400m), the approaches come over a 400ft cliff, with all that means for up- and down-draughts, and the strip itself is usually reported as having stones and rabbit holes along its length. Outside of organised events, the strip is used for grazing so there may be sheep to be chased off. In addition to that, there are walls involved - more on those later.

However, every year there is an organised fly-in, with volunteers from the Landmark Trust and a group of local private pilots led by Pete White (no relation!) a stalwart of the LAA Devon Strut who flies a beautiful Aeronca Chief. This is not a Strut Event, but as you might expect a lot of Strut members participate, both as volunteers and as pilots.

And yes, they organise it every year - including this one, The Year of the Great COVID Lockdown, when they had over eighty aircraft arrive. As Ian Seager has pointed out this may well turn out to have been the largest 1 day event in the UK this year - or "Lunkosh", as he called it on the Flyer videocast that week.

In previous years I had either been otherwise committed, or chickened out, or something else happened that meant I couldn't go. This year, at last, the stars aligned and I kind of sort of committed myself to go in a thread in the "Events" forum.

My concessions to the Lundy challenges were to (a) take the spats off, and; (b) Spend the Friday evening practising extra-short landings at the home strip.

All set to go, and then on Saturday I got a call from @Iceman (Mark S) who I knew was also intended to fly there, reporting that the aircraft he was going to use had gone tech. My immediate response that I was therefore "...excitedly looking forward to seeing what the TB20 made of it..." was treated with the contempt it deserved, and we agreed that he would drive up to me in the morning and we would go together in the Jodel.

And so it came to pass. Having reviewed Pete's excellent and comprehensive briefing notes, we had a glorious trip down in blazing sunshine with Mark acting as a tourist guide to North Devon as we followed the coast (he was dragged up around Minehead, so knows all the local gossip. :D)

Outbound route: Coast-following rather than the more direct plan:
As we got closer we began to hear other aircraft calling up Lundy on SafetyCom and also see some of them on the SkyDemon/SkyEcho combination. It became evident that the weather was localised around the island and not quite so glorious as over the mainland.

Sure enough, as we coasted out we could see that there were rainshowers over the island, precluding the planned overhead join. The other traffic around was being really very helpful and reporting position and intentions concisely, so we announced that we were to join downwind for 24 at 1,000ft - about as high as we could get at that part of the circuit.

As we came onto a wide base, to deconflict from 2 or 3 aircraft ahead, there was a small shower between us and the strip which meant that I overshot the centreline a bit resulting in a somewhat scrappy join to final. Never mind, we were far enough out to rectify that happily, but I apologise to the aircraft behind me - I think the gap was enough not to cause him too much of an issue.

As we came onto short final, a number of things became apparent: The white rocks marking the strip, the briefed up-slope at the 24 end, and the entrance to the parking area off to the left. But the thing that, as I had expected it would, caught my attention most was the low stone wall just at the 24 threshold. This was described very well in the briefing notes, and so I was prepared to pass low over it before touchdown on the up-slope beyond.

And, do you know what? The strip was fine.

No massive rocks, no Godzilla Rabbit-sized holes... I am glad I took the spats off, though. Then again, Pete does point out that the far (06) end can be really quite rough so I may have had a different opinion had it been an Easterly on the day.

We followed the efficient marshalling volunteers, parked up by another part of the same wall that runs across the threshold and got out. After booking in and pay a very reasonable landing fee (which included visitors' contribution to the Landmark Trust) we watched a few landings before deciding to walk off to the Marisco Tavern for lunch. I forgot to take the face-mask I had in the aircraft; not the only thing that was forgotten that day, and not the only one to cause future hassle either!

A Jodel looking lonely. She wasn't at all, really - there are 70 or so of her mates just out of shot! (A few had left by this picture). Devon coast in the background.

Lots of lovely Lundy aeroplanes
Whilst watching the aircraft behind us arrive, we noticed one of them was a spiffy red Carbon Cub. It turned out to be Ben Twings (Mark A), recently repatriated from California and whom Mark S (Iceman) had last seen a year ago when they had bumped into each other at AirVenture. From Oshkosh to Lunkosh; who'd have thought? :D

The Marisco Tavern is no distance at all from the strip, although it feels like quite a way if you choose to start walking just as one of the showers decides to come overhead. So, word to the wise: Don't do that.

Not surprisingly, the tavern was busy given that the strip parking area had been filling up steadily. The Marks and I were in the queue, looking at what was on the menu, when the only bum note of the day occurred. You'll recall that I had foolishly forgotten my face-mask in the aircraft: Well, I got shouted at for not wearing one.

Not "advised" - it was definitely "shouted at": Well, fair enough really - I should have had one. But there are ways and means of sending a message.

I apologised and made to leave the pub, but then somebody pointed out that there were signs saying that if you were sitting down to eat you did not need to wear a mask. So I sat down at an unoccupied table intending to ask Mark S (who was masked, sensible chap) to order me something.

I was then shouted at because to sit down one must leave contact details. Again, fair enough.

So I moved to fill in the indicated clipboard form. I was then shouted at for standing up and not wearing a mask...

I sat down again, explained who the customer was, and ordered a lamb burger.

After lunch (and the lamb burger was excellent), we walked on further to the South, initially to St Helen's Church.

Inside the church, which dates to 1880, there are several impressive modern tapestries with local scenes and some information boards about the island - well worth reading as they contain some fascinating information on the history, wildlife, economy and other Lundy specifics. Whilst you are reading these, there are some pleasant hardwood pews on which you can rest your iPad.

By this stage the showers and low cloud had long gone, and it was getting hot again - it dried me out, anyway. We then carried on down the hill towards the landing stage at the SE of the island, looking Northwards into Quarter Wall Bay. (There are three main walls constructed across the island, known as Quarter Wall, Halfway Wall and Three-Quarter Wall. None of them are the wall at the runway threshold.)

We walked down to the bay where the landing stage and new Southern lighthouse are located, and where the MS Oldenburg was alongside having delivered passengers and cargo on its rounds from the mainland. She was originally built in Germany and previously operated ferry services to Wangerooge and Helgoland; other places to which some readers may have flown. :D

The lighthouse here is one of two that replace the much taller 'Old Light' which still remains at the South West corner of the airstrip and, appealingly, is available to rent as holiday accommodation. Reportedly Old Light became disused because, being on the top of the 400ft high granite block that is the island, it frequently found itself hidden by fog and low cloud - somewhat defeating its point.

This stone is a marker installed by Trinity House when the first lighthouse was built.

The Lundy postbox is blue because it is not part of the Royal Mail system; the GPO pulled out of Lundy in the 1920s. Lundy Post is run out of the island store, claims to be the oldest private postal service in the World, and produces special 'puffin' stamps and franks that are highly sought after by collectors.

Abandoned and rusting cannon, ship's screw and (presumably inert!) shell by the island store on the way back to the airstrip.

Well, back we got to the airstrip and spent some time enjoyably talking to many other friendly flyers including Bossman (G-BLEW) and Ed the Ed who had flow in together in the Cessna 180, plus jollyrog and CaptChaos, late of this place as well as Ellie Carter who soloed on her 16th birthday, got her licence on her 17th last year and since then has racked up lots of hours and experience in a fabulous Piper L-4 Cub in the necessary USAAF markings, generously supported by the Cub's owner Richard. She clearly has some good mentoring and is on track for a flying career; with her enthusiasm and evident application I reckon she is bound to make a success of it.

Then, sadly it was time to leave. At which point iCeman realised he had lost his iPad.

Oh, lord - it could be anywhere... But he thought he'd probably left it in the church, so we re-traced our steps there - no joy. Mark then walked all the way back down the hill to the Trinity House stone again, checking walls and seats on the way - still no joy.

Back via the village store and the pub (I stayed outside for the peace and quiet) - nope - and finally, dejectedly, back to the strip.

At which point a very honest chap walked up to Mark and asked "Is this your iPad"? :D

He'd found it in - yes! - the Church. He wasn't even one of the visiting pilots; he was a holidaymaker who had come across on the Oldenburg, found the iPad and searched the photos* for clues. He recognised the Jodel from images from inside the cockpit and came up to the strip to find us. Top chap.

Then, sadly, it was time to lea... Oh, sorry - already done that. ;)

The departure was very smooth - taxying out, Pete White checking that we had had the iPad returned; thanks again Pete. We climbed out clear of the circuit and then made an anti-clockwise circuit of the island for photos. It was truly gorgeous!

The airstrip is just visible above the wingtip, with the Old Light approximately in line with the leading edge.
Strip rough outline:

Looking West - next stop, the USA.

Completing the post-departure island circuit, looking North-North-East with Woolacombe beach visible top right. The naked eye could also clearly pick out the Gower peninsula from this viewpoint - it became a glorious day. :D

The island is full of fascinating little details, and since Lundy Sunday, I've been looking up bits and pieces on Google - as you'd expect, we only say a fraction of them. There are other things I would love to go back and see, one of which was that I had hoped to see puffins on this trip but was unsuccessful. I believe they typically depart the island in late July, so we had just missed them.

I plan to go back, including on a non-organised day, and see such things as the Old Light properly, the remains of two crashed Heinkel 111s, a smooth granite rockface called The Devil's Slide on the Northwest coast (it looked impressive enough from the air) and more of the wildlife, plus many other things. I shall even double-check I have got my face-mask next time...

Photographic proof that Idunnit, courtesy of Iceman, Mark S:
Thanks so much to Pete White and his colleagues, along with The Landmark Trust, for making this such an enjoyable and safe day, and to Iceman for coming along.

I knew I'd love Lundy; and I did. :D :D

*I know what you're thinking, but Mark insists not. :lol:
Miscellaneous, johnm, Kittyhawk and 14 others liked this
By Rob L
Lovely report, Dave :thumright: . Thanks for that!

On my first visit there in 1994 or 1995, I had a mechanical breakdown (broken impulse spring in one magneto) so we had to abandon the aircraft there for a week.
Another aircraft ferried me and then my passenger in separate flights plus the offending magneto to Swansea (it's a long water crossing as we see from your photo above!) whereby we were met by a 4-seater to take us home. It cost us both a lot in beer tokens!
Incidentally, we did have tie-downs with us!

A week later we returned in a borrowed aircraft with the repaired magneto to fly our aircraft home, but came with a small crowd (five or six of us) and rented a house for the night so that we could have a proper drink at the Marisco, and see the island properly. It is certainly worth staying for at least one night!

I now carry a spare impulse magneto spring in the aircraft (and I had to use it in France in 1999 when returning from seeing the Eclipse).
By Iceman
Great write up @Dave W. One more picture down by the jetty at which the island’s supply vessel and tourist boat arrives. The dive centre is also down there. It’s a steep hill up the side of the island to what is a pretty flat island top.

Accommodation is available on the island, including at the old lighthouse, as well as camping. The Marisco Tavern offers a breakfast and dinner service, as well as lunch. There is a fine of £1 for using your mobile device in the pub :shock:. The aircraft signing-in book (for non-fly-in flights) is also at the pub :lol:. Island population during the winter is about 20.

I’m still baffled as to how I managed to leave my near-new iPad in the church, but grateful to the resourceful tourist who managed to identify a picture of Dave’s aircraft from the colour of the rear of the prop, and to find out that the previous day’s photographs were taken at the Perth Scone fly-in BBQ.

A great day’s flying to a well attended event at one of the more unusual UK destinations. Thanks to Dave for the flights in the Jodel :thumright:. This is definitely short strip, rough grass territory, not somewhere I’ll be taking the TB anytime soon !

Oh, and @Dave W, we won’t mention the wine gums :lol:.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miscellaneous, Dave W, Rob L liked this
By Iceman
@Miscellaneous, that has always been the plan since the Robin went. Trying to find a suitable tail wheel steed in the SE is nigh on impossible though, particularly if you’re not a swinger :lol:.

Iceman 8)
Miscellaneous liked this
Nick wrote:Best to visit when it's quieter and bring a tent, you can then sample the food and drink and experience the peace and solitude.

@Dave W's write up has inspired me for a visit, although I'll confess the draw of islands is partly the isolation. Your option appeals Nick. Be a bit of a bummer if one decided they didn't look the like of the runway, or there was an issue.

Now on the bucket list. :thumright:
Dave W, Iceman liked this
By Iceman
Peter Gristwood wrote:I see Iceman took another visit today, though it looked like a landing wasn't an option

I was at Compton Abbas for tea and cake (the only arrival all day, apparently), and was only planning as going as far as Lynmouth, but it was a nice evening and I could see Lundy very clearly so thought that it would be rude not to circumvent the island whilst there, firmly clutching my iPad :lol:. Landing the TB there would certainly be a one way mission, perhaps to join the He 111s as a permanent museum piece (I have to confess to not having a clue where the remains of the 111s are located).

Iceman 8)
Dave W, Peter Gristwood, Rob L and 1 others liked this