Where have you been? What have you seen?
By akg1486
A young friend of mine posted this video recently. I was asked to join the trip in the Pipistrel you’ll see in the film, but had to decline due to other comittments. My loss!

I’m posting this here to intice you to make Scandinavia your next flying holiday destination, once the current madness is over.

(Let’s not make this thread into a COVID-discussion. Nothing in the video is contrary to the Corona recommendations in the country where it was filmed even though it might have been in the UK.)
Morten, skydriller, grahamgrg and 4 others liked this
By akg1486
Boecopter wrote:akg do you know the name of the airfield with the runway threshold right by the water?
I think I recognised Malung in there too. Can’t wait to get back...

They did pass through Malung. The place you asked about is Älvdalen, a bit more to the north-west. 680 meters with narrow tarmac. You can find it in SkyDemon even if it has no ICAO designation. I haven’t been there, but since this summer’s club trip will have to be domestic I might get the chance. It’s really beautiful country. A piece of linguistic trivia: the local dialect at Älvdalen, an isolated place, is said to be medieval if not older. It’s not intelligeble to Swedes.

The big airport In the video opened just a few months ago: Scandinavian Mountains Airport is intended to serve the Swedish resort area Sälen and the Norwegian resort Trysil. Quite a controversial investment by the local governments, as you can imagine.
By grahamgrg
Thanks for posting the video akg - well produced and looks a great trip.

Had planned a Scandinavian tour this year and your video will help add some destinations when life starts returning to "normal"
By kanga
akg1486 wrote:... A piece of linguistic trivia: the local dialect at Älvdalen, an isolated place, is said to be medieval if not older. It’s not intelligeble to Swedes.

:thumright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfdalian
By akg1486
kanga wrote:
akg1486 wrote:... A piece of linguistic trivia: the local dialect at Älvdalen, an isolated place, is said to be medieval if not older. It’s not intelligeble to Swedes.

:thumright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfdalian

I wouldn't be surprised if you speak it..... Here's a beginner's course:

kanga liked this