Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Rallye
I have nothing to do for the moment so If...if...if...everything is ok this summer,i want to try a trip to Tallin, maybe to Helsinki coming from south west of France on VFR flight.
I am looking for good plans for landing in Germany,Polen, latvia and Vilnius for non experienced pilot.So no difficult airfields or in middle of nowhere.And max 2,5 hour flight every day.Indicated airspeed 85 kts.
In advance,Thanks for your plans and ideas.,
Flyin'Dutch', Ibra liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Great!

If you have a desire to see anything of Belgium and the Netherlands you could fly up along the French, Belgian and Dutch coast and then go to the East via the German/Danish coast. You can then on the way back following a direct route between Talinn and Bordeaux.
Rallye, Ibra liked this
By Rallye
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Great!

If you have a desire to see anything of Belgium and the Netherlands you could fly up along the French, Belgian and Dutch coast and then go to the East via the German/Danish coast. You can then on the way back following a direct route between Talinn and Bordeaux.

I know Belgium very well (i am native) and if i follows all the coasts it will be a long trip.
So i prefer something more straight.But thanks for the idea and why not for the return.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Maastricht airport.

What I do for longer trips is to put the start and end on SD and then rubber band the route along places to see/visit and avoid.

At 85kts and 2.5 hours flying per day it is going to be a long journey, time wise isn't it?

How many miles is it straight line. At 85kts IAS you are going to be traveling 200 NM per day.
By skydriller
Evening Ralleye, Im pretty sure you can get 90kts or even more out of her in the cruise if you treat her nice... :wink:

Other than taking the coastal route via the dutch/german islands with various hotel/ restaurant options on each island, there is the hotel/Resto at Gandekersee EDWQ near Bremen. But there is also Hangar 10 at Heringsdorf EDAH near the polish border, great collection of flying warbirds with restaurant and (I think) accomodation, park up right outside the hangar - If you want a more direct route...
Peenemeunde is also quite cool if you stay and viisit that area.

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch', Rallye liked this
By akg1486
A straight line from LFDU to EETN takes you to Heringsdorf (nice place for lunch) and then on a too long crossing of the Baltic Sea. If you want to go Poland/Lithuania you need a detour around the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad. May I suggest instead flying along the Swedish east coast and then cross via the island of Gotland? Visby (ESSV) is, like Tallinn, an old hanseatic town well worth a visit.

If you take such a route, aim for Lübeck (also a hanseatic town) and follow the Danish islands to southern Sweden.

Have a nice trip! Tallinn is a great destination.
By skydriller
akg1486 wrote:A straight line from LFDU to EETN takes you to Heringsdorf (nice place for lunch)
:thumleft:
skydriller wrote: But there is also Hangar 10 at Heringsdorf EDAH near the polish border, great collection of flying warbirds with restaurant and (I think) accomodation, park up right outside the hangar - If you want a more direct route...

akg1486 wrote:May I suggest instead flying along the Swedish east coast and then cross via the island of Gotland? Visby (ESSV) is, like Tallinn, an old hanseatic town well worth a visit.
It is indeed, we spent a week visiting some of my GFs family there last Summer, loved it. :viking: Kristianstad on the way up the coast is nice too. We wanted to head across the opposite side to Gothenburg too on the way back, but the weather didnt cooperate... :(

Regards, SD..
By akg1486
skydriller wrote:
akg1486 wrote:A straight line from LFDU to EETN takes you to Heringsdorf (nice place for lunch)
:thumleft:
skydriller wrote: But there is also Hangar 10 at Heringsdorf EDAH near the polish border, great collection of flying warbirds with restaurant and (I think) accomodation, park up right outside the hangar - If you want a more direct route...

Yes: that’s where I had lunch a few years ago. The museum is small but worth a visit.

skydriller wrote:
akg1486 wrote: May I suggest instead flying along the Swedish east coast and then cross via the island of Gotland? Visby (ESSV) is, like Tallinn, an old hanseatic town well worth a visit.
It is indeed, we spent a week visiting some of my GFs family there last Summer, loved it. :viking: Kristianstad on the way up the coast is nice too. We wanted to head across the opposite side to Gothenburg too on the way back, but the weather didnt cooperate... :(

Regards, SD..

Be sure to contact me If you ever give Gothenburg a go. :thumleft:
By GrahamB
@Rallye SkyDemon has the AIP but this does not include the VFR aerodrome plates.

The VFR AIP is available for download purchase from the Lithuania AIS site, either as a one-off or annual subscription, but I have no idea what form it takes.
By Paul_Sengupta
akg1486 wrote:Visby (ESSV) is, like Tallinn, an old hanseatic town well worth a visit.

There's also a brewery there, but unfortunately I was flying back (to Stockholm) so couldn't sample. I took the Arrow IV SE-LAI to Visby. Funny what sticks in your memory! :D

skydriller wrote:Kristianstad on the way up the coast is nice too.

I've only ever been to the airport there, and only commercially....Muk Air, from Copenhagen to Ronneby on an Embraer Bandeirante (return trip a couple of weeks later was on a Shorts 360). My memory of Kristianstad was walking around the apron with a rather large Drambuie in hand which I had been poured on the flight. We had to get out at Kristianstad and stand near the aeroplane while they refueled it. Got back on with the drink and I still had a lot left by the time we approached Ronneby so had to drink it all down quickly!

Last time I was Tallin must have been in 2001 or so. Took the Super Sea Cat from Helsinki, which I had reached on the overnight ferry from Stockholm.
skydriller liked this