Where have you been? What have you seen?
By CAT4R4TTA
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I will be flying there, like every single year...

If anyone is gonna be around would be nice to catch up I assume? I have noticed there is usually a reasonably big group of UK people looking at the signature book...I assume a few will also be active members of this forum

S.
By Ibra
Never heard of it but looks like a nice setup to visit !!
Not this year unfortunately

CAT4R4TTA wrote:I will be flying there, like every single year...

Via Azores Island or Goose Bay :shock:
By cotterpot
Went last year and stayed at Haines City and drove in on 3 days. Spent other days being a tourist. 8)

The show is very good.
By CAT4R4TTA
Yeah is nice...I mean...after 12 years in a row not as much, but still...

And then you get to rent a plane at a very low price where you can easily fly to the Bahamas or anywhere you like... That's the part which never grows old to me :)
Ibra liked this
By Ibra
CAT4R4TTA wrote:And then you get to rent a plane at a very low price where you can easily fly to the Bahamas or anywhere you like...

Last time, we did not stay at all in Florida apart from switching between Orlando Intr and Orlando Exec :D so next time it will be just Florida: all in, it seemed I missed a lot of stuff there: while I am still 33 years old, I think an RV & Beer is all I need really :lol:
By CAT4R4TTA
Ibra wrote:Last time, we did not stay at all in Florida apart from switching between Orlando Intr and Orlando Exec :D so next time it will be just Florida: all in, it seemed I missed a lot of stuff there: while I am still 33 years old, I think an RV & Beer is all I need really :lol:

Rent a plane and fly :)

If you wantnto know whereto go, what to see, where to eat and what is best to avoid...ask me :)
Ibra liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Having been flying in Florida for 24 years now I'm curious about the "where to avoid"! Please elaborate!

Also curious about your "where to eat" recommendations.
By CAT4R4TTA
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Having been flying in Florida for 24 years now I'm curious about the "where to avoid"! Please elaborate!

Also curious about your "where to eat" recommendations.

Orlando sucks...all the rest is pretty nice :D Even Orlando is ok if you plan to go to Disneyland

Favuorite place to eat: Sharky's on the Pier in Venice...really nice place. It is also fun to land at the Everglades airpark and then go to the small town and eat in a riverfron restaurant. Last but not least...the amazing Cedar Key, where you call the taxi over the radio on the unicom :) If you like oysters that's a good spot.

To be fair, is such a pleasure to fly over there you can simply put your finger on a random place and I'm sure you'll be fine.

...oh...I almost forgot!!! The best onion rings ever!!! At Vero Beach airport...where you can also arrange a visit at the Piper.

What about you? Tell me yours...after 24 years I'm sure you've seen a few :)
By Paul_Sengupta
CAT4R4TTA wrote:Orlando sucks...all the rest is pretty nice :D Even Orlando is ok if you plan to go to Disneyland

Disney! Argh! :D

CAT4R4TTA wrote:Favuorite place to eat: Sharky's on the Pier in Venice...really nice place.

Yep, agree with that one! Been going there on every trip...first visit was 1996 when I was doing my PPL, I did a solo cross country there. Was briefed on Sharkeys and the fossilised sharks teeth!

CAT4R4TTA wrote:Last but not least...the amazing Cedar Key, where you call the taxi over the radio on the unicom :)

Another favourite. Yes, Judy in the taxi, or one of her family!

CAT4R4TTA wrote:If you like oysters that's a good spot.

I don't like seafood but it's still good.

CAT4R4TTA wrote:...oh...I almost forgot!!! The best onion rings ever!!! At Vero Beach airport...where you can also arrange a visit at the Piper.

I've done the Piper factory tour, and I keep trying to persuade Ridders to go on it, but he won't! ;-)

CAT4R4TTA wrote:What about you? Tell me yours...after 24 years I'm sure you've seen a few :)

Well, I'd add in a night or two in Key West...
Ibra liked this
By CAT4R4TTA
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Well, I'd add in a night or two in Key West...

Indeed...been there even last year, and the flight alone from Miami along the coast is worth the price to get there from London.

Other favourite: a night VFR along Miami beach at 700ft to Key Biscane and back (we usually stay at OPF)

Boy oh boy...can't wait it to be the 1st of April to be there again... I also got the media credential approved for the SnF, which is always a bonus!

By the way this year, weather permitting, we have planned a very very cool destination in the caribbeans. Let's see if we're lucky!
By Ibra
CAT4R4TTA wrote:the amazing Cedar Key, where you call the taxi over the radio on the unicom :)

I had the impression that was exclusive for Caribbean Islands (Inagua/Cat Islands), where you overfly there village until the taxi hear it on unicom or waves at you out of his car, then both for a quick run to the airstrip, unfortunately, they love dollars and don't want to discuss the topic in a non-busy air-bands :thumleft:

For things to avoid on GA flying, I was told as long as you avoid Cuba & midday TS, you will do just fine :thumleft: the rest (e.g. night, water, imc, terrain, sharks, crocodiles, oranges, drugs, guns and rocket lunch pads ) is not worth a worry :lol:

Is it me or Key West feels like LFAT (airport, beach, restaurant and landing fee :lol: )
By Paul_Sengupta
I tend to avoid Florida in the summer. Best time to go is from November to April, though May can be nice, but a bit hot. September/October can be ok, but watch out for hurricanes!
By CAT4R4TTA
welkyboy wrote:postponed till 5th May

They're lucky if they do it next year, let alone the 5th of May