Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Wicksay
Amazingly my wife is treating us to a holiday in SA in February. We'll be travelling two weeks between Knysner and Cape Town, connecting with the UK in and out of Joberg.

A bucket list item is a Bush flight. Can anyone make any suggestions or recommendations.

TIA
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Very pleasant area to be. The final couple of hours of the driving journey Knysna to Cape town is a bit uninteresting unless you branch off to the coast and go that way via Betty's Bay, which is far better place to visit for penguins than the well known Boulders Beach which is south of Cape Town. The bush/safari flights for pilots tend to be further up north. I've flown into Shamwari for the day but only because the chief ranger was a member of the club I used to work with a lot. (Brief: "fly down strip the wrong way low level to clear the strip, do a tear drop turn on final, land before any animals creep back on.... if ranger with vehicle and gun not there to meet you, don't get out of aircraft no matter how hot it is".)
My trips there tend to be in September nowayears which coincides nicely with whales just offshore, but I only use a couple of clubs who know me, so there might be operations I am unaware of. In the area you are, Plett tends to concentrate on microlights, George tends to concentrate on training Chinese pilots, and Stellenbosch is often short of instructors. There is a club at Cape Town international airport. If all else fails, a simple dual round the Cape from either S'bosch or Cape Town is very satisfying as a scenic flight. There is an airfield north of Cape Town (trying to remember the name) but I've never flown from it. You could always sign up to http://www.avcom.co.za and ask there, it is the SA version of this forum.
ps: if staying in the many and very pleasant B&Bs, I hope you like cushions
By Irv Lee
If you want to pay pilot dual rates rather than tourist trip rates you will need to take all docs including medical but take them in hand luggage on flight down.
By Wicksay
Great tip Irv. If I manage to pre arrange a dual flight I'll pop my docs in the bag. And the camera of course. Not to mention note book and pen to write up a pice for the flight.
By AndyR
If you end up back in Jo’burg without having flown and get a spare half day, a quick trip to Lanseria will at least get you airborne over Africa in a proper aeroplane.

Have fun. I miss Africa.
By Lefty
I’ll be taking my first visit to SA at the end of Feb. Any advice welcome.
I’m especially interested in feedback on Safari Parks in the Cape Town - Stellenbosch - Port Elisabeth area’s on the coast or up towards the mountains (either to drive - or fly to) ?
By Irv Lee
@Lefty the famous big one is Shamwari north of Port Elizabeth, also Addo for elephants. I will post a few more later but the smaller ones are on the same financial knife edge as flying clubs so experiences even a year later can be v different, just because of things out of their control, eg bad weather
By Wicksay
Going out on 17th. Staying in and around Knysner first week, inuding 2 nights at Addo a bit if golf and seeing a 20/20 match. Hard first week to beat. Driving the Garden Route to Cape Town second week but would love to go to Sutherland to the observatory for some World class star gazing, a winery at Stellenbosch and an aforementioned flight over the Cape. Security is a big uncertainty for us travelling alone but follow all of the standard advice.
By Wicksay
AndyR wrote:If you end up back in Jo’burg without having flown and get a spare half day, a quick trip to Lanseria will at least get you airborne over Africa in a proper aeroplane.

Have fun. I miss Africa.
Thanks Andy. Would love to go up there but alas its just a connecting flight at Joberg. Another time I'm certain.
By malcolmfrost
Wicksay wrote:Going out on 17th. Staying in and around Knysner first week, inuding 2 nights at Addo a bit if golf and seeing a 20/20 match. Hard first week to beat. Driving the Garden Route to Cape Town second week but would love to go to Sutherland to the observatory for some World class star gazing, a winery at Stellenbosch and an aforementioned flight over the Cape. Security is a big uncertainty for us travelling alone but follow all of the standard advice.

We’ve done a lot of solo travelling around and haven’t had any issues despite being well off the beaten track. Be sensible, no jewellery( including watches) and smile and talk to people. Body language is a great help.
You’ll come across “car park security” all over the place, a guy in a grubby hi viz. he’ll look after your car for a tip of ZAR5 or so. About 25p.