Where have you been? What have you seen?
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mine was Cardiff to Swansea land away for coffee and cake with my Grandad in one of the schools Tomahawks. The first of many flights with him, even toured California together for a couple of weeks in a rented Archer in 2000! He wasn't a pilot but had a great interest in flying and helped me enormously with my PPL exams, remember spending hours over at his house armed with my Trevor Thom books he would ask me questions verbally (just like an Oral exam!), really helped cement the knowledge. This was in the good old era before the age of smartphones and apps. Actually it was before I even had my first brick of a mobile phone! :D
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By derekf
Mine was a flight to Deauville with Mrs derekf when they had an excellent restaurant on the airfield. At least she got to enjoy the wine :wink:
By Rob L
Wicksay wrote:Thanks for sharing your first post ppl solo trips.

I'm really looking forward to mine whatever and wherever it might be. I'm aiming for early next year.

I persuaded my worst enemy to come with me on my first solo. Either we'd both survive, in which case I'd have a new best friend, or we'd both die in a horrific crash, which would rid me of my worst enemy.

Well I survived. (I have a parachute).
JAFO, derekf liked this
By jerry_atrick
As soon as my licence arrived, I booked the shareoplane and did an hour of circuits... mainly to get used to the plane, which didn't take long. Landed, planned and then flew a short hop to Booker.. Hoped to grab a bite at the restaurant at Booker as I had eaten there a few times before and found it quite good. But, alas, it was closed. Back to Fairoaks, enjoying solo flying but realised it is a pastime enjoyed much better flying with someone else.
By Wicksay
Thanks Jerry. I'll keep that in mind and trust one or two peeps from here will happily come for a jolly with me and / or split some hour building time with me when the time comes.
By FlightDek
11 days after my test I rented a plane from the school and went for a trip along the N Wales coast to Llandudno.

Really strange feeling as for the first time there was no-one telling me where I had to go or what to do.
By malcolm_d_smith
Back in September before the weather broke. Did my skills test at Bodmin then two trips from Eaglescott. First out to Baggy Point, over my house and west to Bideford . Second up to the North Devon coast at Lynton then west to Westward H. Beautiful evening for both but haven’t managed to fly since - too wet for the grass runway. :(
By Jack.Tyler
About a week after my license came in the post, I took my partner up for my first post-PPL flight around the Wiltshire/Hampshire countryside to see the White Horses and other standard sights. I'm not sure who was more scared - me or her :shock:
Rob L, Supercat liked this
By Wicksay
Yeah I'm thinking I want a few flights under my belt before, from her eyes, I seem to know what I'm doing haha

With licences taking a few months to get returned, and the 90day rule of 3 flights before taking passengers, I'll need to go solo for a few trips anyway. But anyone know if you can go with a ppl holder in that time if you plan to be PiC.
By Jack.Tyler
Wicksay wrote:Yeah I'm thinking I want a few flights under my belt before, from her eyes, I seem to know what I'm doing haha

With licences taking a few months to get returned, and the 90day rule of 3 flights before taking passengers, I'll need to go solo for a few trips anyway..

It's 3 take offs and landings in the last 90 days, not three flights. A couple of circuits and you're grand :thumleft:

Wicksay wrote:But anyone know if you can go with a ppl holder in that time if you plan to be PiC

I believe the Air Navigation Order, Schedule 8, 2.2(a) stipulates

Exception to the recent experience condition

2.—(1) In this Part, a reference to the “recent experience exception” in the privileges foraeroplane and helicopter private pilot’s licences is to the condition set out in this paragraph.(2)The condition is that

—(a)the intended flight will carry a single passenger who is also qualified to act as pilot in command on that flight; and

(b)the holder of the licence has informed the intended passenger that the holder does notmeet the recent experience condition.

But please check with an instructor first!

Jack
By DannyPR
I went all in and flew Elstree to Le Touquet in an Archer II, with my wife and parents. I had flown the route twice before as part of a training school fly out, otherwise would not suggest it for a first solo post-PPL! It was a magical experience.