Where have you been? What have you seen?
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well spotted! Currently 165kts indicated but only 130 across the ground. It’s windy.
By Miscellaneous
carlmeek wrote:Well spotted!

I told you, I'm bored! :lol:

Windy here too, however sun is coming out and it will soon be beer o'clock. :D

Have a great trip home. :thumright:

EDIT: I can't imagine flying being so boring I'd be checking the Flyer Forum. :?
By carlmeek
20 minutes to Calais and weather went nuts. Diverted to merville and stuck here for the night. Can’t get fuel due to no total card!
By carlmeek
We just found a nice man at merville with a hangar. Now off to another hotel. So close to home!
By PaulSS
Not trying to be rude but those sound like optimistic cruise speeds. Yes, the RV8 will certainly go that fast, especially if you've got a wobbly prop on it but that will be balls-out. Realistically, cruising at 2500RPM will normally return about 150/155 IAS.

That takes nothing away from your lovely new machine. I love flying the 8 but my wife doesn't like looking at the back of my head (nor the front too much), so my choice of machine is limited (if I want to take her with me) :wink:
By carlmeek
I'm only going on the number in front of me - and of course there's every chance it's wrong. I know of another aircraft using Dynon D180/D120 combination that over reads so it's certainly possible.

I just had a look at the dials - I can see that the Dynon appears to over-read compared to the standby slightly - perhaps 2/3 knots.

Then looking at the wind arrow it calculates the wind at 28 knots against. This is where the discrepancy could lie - I'll go and fly it back and forth and if both directions are a headwind we'll know for sure! Also - I'll go and do some stalls and get the figures there.

I'm not sure what winds were yesterday morning at 5000ft. It seems a bit tricky finding such archives - unless anyone has a good source?
By PaulSS
That is a lovely bit of kit :D

Some minor discrepancies are immediately obvious. The Garmin is giving you a GS of 153. The Dynon a TAS of 185 and a headwind of 28 kts. Obviously those don't add up, even though it is a matter of a couple of kts.

I got a bit anally retentive when I was 'testing' a new-build RV8 and ended up flying a million square patterns and entering all the data into a fancy spreadsheet produced by one of the American aircraft test schools (I can't recall what the website was but I can research it if you wish). The Dynon Skyview was pretty much spot on but the standby ASI needed a bit of attention (my solution of never looking at it was not an acceptable method :D )

If you need anyone to fly the 8, 10 or your Gazelle, just give me a shout :mrgreen:

Edited to add photo. This is pretty typical of what I've seen in the RVs I've flown. This was early on in the testing before we managed to sort out the oil temp probe under-reading :wink: