Where have you been? What have you seen?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You were just starting up to leave as I arrived in the car.

Thanks for picking us as the destination for your first fully licensed trip, and glad you enjoyed the experience!
By tfin25
Congrats on your first landaway, welshpool is a lovely airfield.

Were you in G-VMCG? I did my first solo in that a few years ago! Fond memories of the Tomahawk.
By MachFlyer
It was my pleasure Graham, I was going to mention I was visiting but (for me) the weather was quite marginal so wasn’t sure until first thing this morning I was definitely going to Welshpool, I will certainly be back as it’s a smashing airfield with a nice runway.

I was in CG Tifin, did my test in her :thumleft:
GrahamB liked this
By ArthurG
As I spend far too much time at Welshpool, I'm glad to hear of visits and plaudits. Mrs. ArthurG says she's a Welshpool widow.

Now that we have a good cafe to go with the superb scenery and friendly locals, it is an excellent destination IMHO. :thumleft:
MachFlyer, Spooky liked this
By TopCat
ArthurG wrote:it is an excellent destination IMHO. :thumleft:

It really is. I visited some months ago on a day that was so gorgeous that my phone wallpaper is now the view across the apron and down the runway.

Jon G4LJW liked this
By jaycee58
I went there for the first time 2 weeks ago and have to agree that it's a lovely airfield with some great scenery in the area. I commented to the people on the desk that I appeared to arrive at a quiet time to which they replied "everyone seem to be frightened of the hills!" I hope that was tongue in cheek.

It's definitely a place I want to visit again.
By Iceman
I popped in yesterday for only the second time ever (I think). The new cafe and tables overlooking the 22 threshold are pleasant. Very friendly,. My only slight gripe is that I had to leave by 1700 local as that is when the airport shuts.

Iceman 8)
By 2Donkeys
jaycee58 wrote: "everyone seem to be frightened of the hills!".

It's really funny to hear you say that. I recall years ago before my first flight to Welshpool being talked to in grave terms about the dangers posed by the hills. It was quite underwhelming when I finally saw them.

Welshpool itself is a lovely place, and I look forward to going back and sampling the delights of the new-ish cafe!
By TopCat
2Donkeys wrote:
jaycee58 wrote: "everyone seem to be frightened of the hills!".

It's really funny to hear you say that. I recall years ago before my first flight to Welshpool being talked to in grave terms about the dangers posed by the hills. It was quite underwhelming when I finally saw them.

Certainly if the cloudbase is high there's nothing to them, although when it's windy the hills all around do cause a fair amount of turbulence of a type that those used to flatter parts won't be so used to.

The thing I found a little disconcerting was the enormous circuit - the rectangles on the airport's website go way outside the ATZ, which I don't understand the need for - at least in a light single.

When I joined overhead on my last visit it was 22 LH, I wasn't at all happy to go right out over all the high ground downwind to the NE of the field, so as it was quiet I turned base long before it, had plenty of time to descend and didn't need to overfly anyone.
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:The thing I found a little disconcerting was the enormous circuit - the rectangles on the airport's website go way outside the ATZ, which I don't understand the need for - at least in a light single.

Part of the reason is that it's a 1500' circuit so naturally is a bit bigger.

Having said that, it is a bugbear of mine that people still tend to fly them larger than need be, there is no need to leave the ATZ.
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:
TopCat wrote:The thing I found a little disconcerting was the enormous circuit - the rectangles on the airport's website go way outside the ATZ, which I don't understand the need for - at least in a light single.

Part of the reason is that it's a 1500' circuit so naturally is a bit bigger.

Yes, I did fly it at that height, but I don't understand why it has to be that high. My impression was that there's room for a lower, smaller circuit without flying over the noise sensitive areas - particularly on 22LH. I've only been in a couple of times in recent history so I may be wrong, happy to be corrected.

Having said that, it is a bugbear of mine that people still tend to fly them larger than need be, there is no need to leave the ATZ.

Redrawing the web site circuit diagrams might be an idea then, I'd think.
By GrahamB
Nearly thirty years ago, when the airport was opened, AIUI the CAA insisted on a 1500’ circuit. There was a brief trial period some time later when it was dropped to 1200’, but was subsequently raised again.

I can tell you more on Thursday. :wink:
By Shrek235
Stopped off at Welshpool today. 9 years since I was last there and due to this thread it convinced me to try it again. Most enjoyable. Friendly AG and the Cafe etc are a vast improvement.

As a side note, I also stopped off at Gloster and apart from one ATC person, I enjoyed the whole experience for the first time. I have no idea why I have not enjoyed it in the past but today I caught a glimpse of why everyone raves over it.

So a good days flying and all down to people posting positive comments about various places which get read and entice others to visit. :D Forums do have a place in life. :shock:
jaycee58, mick w, MachFlyer and 2 others liked this