Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Murgatroyd
Guys, I'm thinking Alesund, via Shetland. Very low or favourable winds permitting, it's a trip I quite fancy.

Anyone skipped over this route previously and any advice on either Shetland or Alesund (or nearby).

This weekend coming does look good and I'll be 'north by north west' in any case, but the hop over the north sea is calling...

I've never filed a GAR either :-)

(By coincidence, I spotted 2x C152's routing from Iceland to the Mainland UK: my insurance excludes the Faros and Iceland, I can sort of see why, but the skip from Shetland to mainland Norway is considerably shorter and more alternate options there)
By Miscellaneous
Murgatroyd wrote:Anyone skipped over this route previously and any advice on either Shetland or Alesund (or nearby).

This weekend coming does look good and I'll be 'north by north west' in any case, but the hop over the north sea is calling...

If it's the crossing that is calling why direct Alesund missing out some fantastic flying through Norway in favour of the water crossing?

I've been across as a passenger in an Aztec arriving Bergen and then low level up through Norway, including a stop at Alesund and as far north as Tromso, over several days. Fantastic. :thumleft:
By bilko2
I flew that rote 10+ years ago. No difficulty then. Though be aware that there is a lot of oil traffic so they like to know where you are.