Where have you been? What have you seen?
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Another great trip to to the Scilly Isles last week.

I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone in ATC at both Lands End and St Mary's in particular.
Really helpful and friendly. :thumleft:

In the end I had to make use of the special Sunday afternoon departure-whilst-closed option. No problem but take a copy of your insurance certificate (with 1.75M cover) and it's worth remembering that the radio will be very quiet in terms of ATC until you get to Newquay on a Sunday with St Mary's, Lands End and Culdrose closed.
Colonel Panic liked this
By ianfallon
Being VFR-only this was a bit of a "time to spare go by air" experience.

The initial plan was to fly down Monday and back Wed or Thu (with forecasts looking reasonable to do so on Sunday) but persistent fog which consistently failed to lift in the afternoons stopped even commercial flying to and from St Marys.

Thankfully, Friday evening/Sat morning's front passed through (less brutal than predicted (the forecast was bad enough for them to cancel the Salonian boat to Penzance for Sat AM)) giving way to wonderful conditions for an easy direct flight back to Hinton on Sunday afternoon (1hr55 for me).

So - worth being aware that St Mary's and Lands End can both suffer with persistent fog even in the face of substantial winds and despite any TAFs indicating it will break up!

The extra days meant more time with my Dad and visits to both St Agnes and Tresco (by small boat). Not a bad place to get 'stuck' in the scheme of things.
GolfHotel liked this
By LavanyaLea
SO tempting... COVID restrictions being eased off, pubs are open, "summer" weather (wet and windy at the moment!!!), and what is this... Star Castle offering to refund youd landing fees!
By johnm
While incentives are nice these folk need every penny so I'd say thanks but don't bother.....
By Paul_Sengupta
LavanyaLea wrote:and what is this... Star Castle offering to refund youd landing fees!

Where did you see that? I had a quick google and found this from 2017....

https://www.flyer.co.uk/scilly-isles-special-offer-for-flyer-readers/

As for giving them every penny, well, a single room for single occupancy starts from £172 per night in the summer season with a double starting at £319... :shock: I think they can afford to pay your landing fee from that, especially if you stay for more than one night!

https://star-castle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Tarrif-Final-2020.pdf