Where have you been? What have you seen?
Worth a 25min walk from Mid Wales Welshpool.
Left out the gates; over roundabout; about half a mile then left up the hill SECOND right.
Very well kept gardens and the house to view.
Entry at Powis Castle 13.50 if you are not a National Trust member

Landing fee was £15 for the Europa, very pleasant and helpful staff and the aerodrome in a lovely setting.

Muchum brownie points for taking Mrs B.

ImageDSC07994 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC08101 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC08008 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC08056 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC08058 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC08073 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC08095 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC08100 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
mick w, Spooky, Flyin'Dutch' and 2 others liked this
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Birdyboy1 wrote:about half a mile then left up the hill SECOND right.

Where do you end up if you don't take the SECOND right.

The caps somehow suggest you might know!

:D :D

I suspect the OP is referring to the embarrassment which is the Country and Western Festival to which the good folk of Welshpool are subjected every year.

@Birdyboy1, I think I may have spotted you both walking back to your aircraft while I was putting mine to bed in the hangar. I'm glad you enjoyed the castle. I used to own some land which was formerly owned by Clive of India - when we sold it with the house I kept the deeds of sale from when he (or rather his land agent) disposed of it.
We took the first turning which is OK for cars, but for walking takes you a long way round by the house front and up behind the house for the car park. The second turning higher up the hill takes you more directly to the entrance to the house.
The 'Clive of India' stuff in the house was interesting.
By GrahamB
joe-fbs wrote:Can anyone suggest please a decent hotel / B&B nearby?
We have a five day slot with the shareoplane in early September and a slow tour of Wales (which I appreciate could be done in one day) is an option that we are considering.

The Royal Oak in Welshpool, and the Dragon In Montgomery are the two nearest. The Chequers (one of Wales' few Michelin starred restaurants) in Montgomery also do rooms if you eat there. At the other end of the spectrum there is a perfectly serviceable B&B 600m from the airport itself. If you call the airport, they have the details of all the nearby ones.

Sounds like you may be able to coincide with the annual AYA Grumman Fish and Chip Fly In which is normally around then - this year scheduled for the 8th, departing 9th.
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:I suspect the OP is referring to the embarrassment which is the Country and Western Festival to which the good folk of Welshpool are subjected every year.

Wait, there's a C&W festival at Welshpool???

Is there, erm, actual line dancing?
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:Wait, there's a C&W festival at Welshpool???

Is there, erm, actual line dancing?

One can only assume so, but I stuff cotton wool in my ears and put on the IR renewal hood when I drive by the show field, so can't really say.

One does encounter a number of overweight middle-aged couples attempting to look like Woody and Calamity Jane in town while the 'event' takes place; once they disappear from the streets one knows it's safe to remove the vision/hearing limiting devices.
Bobcro liked this