Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Mike Charlie
Had a trip to make to Edinburgh, and having been there by road the week before I didn’t fancy driving up from Suffolk yet again. Forecast for Wednesday 28th suggested CAVOK there and back with early stratus
in Suffolk clearing by mid morning

I was at the airfield by 06-00am, airborne at 6-30 flask full of coffee. Plan was to stop midway Bagby being ideal. Cloud base was 1000 ft with bright spots already showing, it boded well for the weather and flight ahead.
Lakenheath gave me transit clearance at 800 ft, I pressed on with the base gradually lifting. By Conningsby cloud was breaking in places so I climbed up on top into brilliant sunshine and blue sky. Ahead of me solid cloud below with hills in the distance I determined were the north Yorkshire moors.

Baby were socked in and literally under the edge of the cloud with a base of around 200 ft. To close to high ground of the moors and my comfort levels to get in safely. Fuel gauges were on the right side of half and by my calculations especially given my recent 30+hour return flight to Stockholm I had a pretty good idea what remained.

Far away to port high rising smoke could be seen only later did I realize it was the Manchester moor fire. By now I had a slight tailwind component, Leeming updated me with latest MET, then onto Durham Tees, for possible diverts if required. Pressed on and was soon handed to Scottish info who I stayed with all my way north. Sky by now was beautifully clear affording stunning views of Northumberland and the rising border country ahead. It was a true pleasure to be aloft sipping hot coffee and watching the changing geography unfold beneath me

3 hours 30 minutes after departure Scottish suggested I called Cumbernauld, I made an overhead join for left hand downwind 08. Client was waiting (my ETA texted in advance) and she whisked me into Edinburgh. Less then an hour on site, measured up, order secured and back to Cumbernauld to prepare for the return. Topped the tanks, oil check, screen clean and lined up 08. I must put a word in for Glenn manning the tower, ever so helpful with fueling and a general can do and welcoming persona.

Climbing away there seemed to be quite a haze ahead, soon disappeared as I gained height. Back to Scottish who worked me alongside an inbound Edinburgh Ryan air I could see ahead away to starboard, but I was well below. I could see how in earlier days in poor weather and less our wonderful SD GPS (sadly still happens today) how pilots get too comfortable and a flight into terrain can happen. At my assigned cruising height 2500 ft, ground ahead was slowly rising, I decided to remain where I was and enjoy the approaching scenery.

No one around I skimmed across the top of one of the Cheviots at 100 ft, the ground to the other side falling away to a spectacular view south towards Newcastle. Newcastle approach were fine with an overhead transit, below me a KLM and Easyjet were moving on the Apron. I photographed the Tyne bridge and admired the Angel of the North rusting peacefully below.

My intermediate stop would be Beverley where I met a friend for a cuppa and cake, before replenishing the aircraft and further screen clean. I had routed via Hartlepool, Whitby and Scarborough, all looked busy and stunning in the mid afternoon sun, and dramatic towering cliffs

Climb out from Beverley with a left turn out through their overhead to keep the locals happy setting track for Elmsett 110 miles ahead. The Wash was covered in cloud, ahead Norfolk was cloudless bathed in sunshine. Doffing my hat to Royal Sandringham below, I flew overhead Marham who were resolutely shut. Lakenheath again no fuss with clearance through their eastern MATZ stub.

Overhead Rougham I called Wattisham (helpful as ever) and was soon joining base for 05 Elmsett. A fantastic days flying (tiring) my little C-150 took it all in her stride, never faltered once. After her recent Sweden flight this must have been a breeze for her!

8 hours 20 minutes logged, that's about one way by road! Outward flight I burnt approx 4.5 GPH around 67 litres, slightly more on home leg with my detouring to admire our beautiful countryside
Dave W, Nick, TopCat and 3 others liked this
By akg1486
We're still waiting for the report from your trip to Stockholm and Gothenburg. :D

/Peter