Where have you been? What have you seen?
The purpose of this trip was a weekend beach-break in order to gain some new found freedom, by flying abroad and most importantly enjoy some good food and drink. With the winter weather being just plain awful, the odds must be on for a warm start to April and so I carefully chose this as the date for the weekend away with my friends.

Having posted about my intentions all over the aviation community and after some prior research, I choose Dinard, which is ideally located on the Côte d'Émeraude of Brittany with its beaches and mild climate, thus making it perfect for a weekend away in April. We choose to stay in Saint-Malo which was a short taxi ride from the airport.

I delegated the hotel booking to my friend whilst I would manage the paperwork, flight planning and flying aspects of this trip. Whilst I had input on where we would stay, we carefully touched base that a more central location would mean less cost in taxi’s and a more comfortable break. Booking.com allows last minute hotel cancellation if the weather intervenes. So we picked only a last minute cancellation booking.

Dinard Airport is now has a 24 hour Customs PNR requirement from non-Schengen countries as per the NOTAM. This is prior notification only and is mandatory for arrivals or departures from the airfield. They are pretty good at responding as far as efficiency goes and very helpful with changeable plans as you’ll soon see.

For filling the flight plan, I used NATS AFPEX – I plan my routing using SkyDemon and then place the details into AFPEX for my international flights.

Here’s a video highlighting the weekend in a nutshell. Firstly the longest flight I've completed to date; in relatively gusty conditions. An extended weekend in Saint-Malo with bad weather plaguing the trip, before a planned normal flight home becomes the most challenging flight I've ever completed with a real world diversion. If you’d like to see the full videos – keep reading below.

The morning of the flight consisted of travelling from South London to Bank and then along the Central line meeting my friends who’d drive us to the aerodrome. I was running a bit late as during the early mornings, Central line trains going east seem to catch me out, and are very far and few between during the morning rush hour. This would delay our departure that morning.

Having looked at the forecast weather and winds for the trip, it was decided that I took the shortest more direct routing across the English Channel over the Cherbourg Peninsular and into Jersey Zone so that if we got stuck VFR on top, I could utilise the Instrument Rating (Restricted) to descend into VMC conditions.

Whilst the routing is quite exposed, it was a fine balance of enough height but at the same time reducing the amount of time spent across the water. A higher altitude would expose us further due to the strong winds, and I made a decision on 4000ft being the best in order to mitigate the risk.

On arrival at the aerodrome I put the aircraft through a very thorough once over and got rid of any excess weight that wasn’t required for the trip such as a tool bag and tow bar.

I preferred to measure the fuel again, but on the flattest bit of tarmac the aerodrome had. This caused a few issues when everyone flying that morning decided to refuel.

I sat in the aircraft for a quick overlook at the weather, but then a man in his Cirrus started distracting me waving his arms and being very aggressive as he didn’t want to take the airplane on the grass. I continued to not get distracted during this critical phase and eventually got moving despite the unwanted attention.

The wind by this point had picked up and a low pressure system was making inroads thus putting us in the heart of the tight isobars as we departed. Below is the forecast weather for our departure.

Code: Select allTAF EGSS 060500Z 0606/0712 14009KT 9999 FEW045 TEMPO 0609/0617 14015G25KT TEMPO 0704/0712 7000 RA PROB30 TEMPO 0707/0712 4000 RADZ BKN008=

We departed over 1 hour 5 minutes late than planned, with a moderate crosswind. I lined up for what will be the longest flown distance non-stop and my first international flight without an instructor.

I departed Runway 21L and made a series of turns to remain clear of the London City Airspace, flying my usual routing via BAKER. (GRAYS & DARTFORD CROSSING). This was a fairly eventful departure as the crosswind was pushing the aircraft all over the place, with some gusty conditions making the aircraft drop several times.

I routed across Kent before making a climb to level 4000ft, which was well before our crossing. This gave me ample opportunity to check the engine and fuel situation. I put the aircraft on autopilot so I could make some calculations and run through my flight plan and coordinate our crossing with London Information.

There was a fair few international flights but not as many as I thought there would be. But the view coasting out was a stunning start to our little trip away.

The rear seat passenger was feeling quite sick at this time and managed to fall asleep till we was half way to France. Not without first giving us our breakfast.

By this point we were almost mid-channel and about to speak to French Air Traffic control that was very helpful in giving us a direct routing. There was a fair amount of boat traffic, which was reassuring if we had to start floating rather than flying.

Despite everything going to plan, whilst on the autopilot the Attitude indicator decides to show up or down whilst in straight and level flight. I later discovered that this is when you are in relatively smooth flying conditions with no direction change. The autopilot doesn’t run from this instrument, luckily.

Whilst we were given a more direct routing, and saving some flight time. I realised that this would open my eyes to a bigger world than just the south-eastern corner of the UK

I have to say the French Air traffic control system on this flight was very well received, and gave me great confidence at how easy it was to fly without maximum knowledge of airspace and procedures.

The views were getting rather tropical and med like, but I had to pinch myself as we were not that far from the UK (With the Channel Islands coming into sight)

We started to pass Îles Chausey, which is a group of small islands, islets and rocks off the coast of Normandy. With a population of just 30, the only inhabited island of the group Grand Île makes this an interesting spot.

Having flown almost 250 miles it was time to make the descent and approach into Dinard. I tried calculating the descent but at this point we started hitting some turbulence again so I kept the aircraft as high as possible.

I initially routed to a point called NED (Pointe Du Groin). But Air Traffic control wanted us to either report ND (Ile de Cézembre) or long final runway 17. I went for both, and ended up holding for inbound traffic at ND.

On my initial approach, I made sure that Jet A1 was to reach us on arrival. The 54 litre uplift at a price of EUR 0.8429 a litre came to EUR 81.04. I would highly recommend that you get your fuel sorted on arrival, unless your plans change. But 80 litres would give me almost 4 hours endurance (2 hour flight time + reserves).

When you land you’ll need to park at a place called “Parking Alpha” – this confused the hell out of me as on the charts I downloaded its area P1. The overflow area being P2, I am guessing this is “Parking Bravo” just to confuse things further. A busy apron but I expected that with the weather being so great, for now...

I was also very impressed with the French efficiency, within 2 minutes on blocks the Jet A1 bowser was arriving. I would recommend writing down what you want in each tank to make it easier for the aircraft refueler to understand.

I highly recommend you go to the fire station to pay your fees before clearing customs, because I then had to que up for security and go back through the whole process of getting airside right before a Ryanair turned up.

On clearing customs and paying your fee’s you either chance waiting for a taxi or order one in advanced, they are very friendly people and have great knowledge of the local area. The weather wasn’t too bad either, but that terrible weekend weather was coming touching 19°C later thay afternoon.

Code: Select allTAF LFRD 061100Z 0612/0712 17012KT CAVOK TEMPO 0612/0614 17015G25KT  PROB30 TEMPO 0622/0703 3000 BR BECMG 0701/0703 5000 RA BKN015 TEMPO 0703/0712 4000 RA BKN008 BECMG 0618/0620 VRB05KT=

You can watch the flight video here; it’s by far the longest flight I’ve ever flown.

We choose to stay at a hotel called ‘Hotel ibis Styles Saint Malo Centre Historique’. This would be our base for the weekend; the hotel staff are incredibly friendly and noticeably knowledgeable. They will try upgrading you to the marina view at the end of the introduction, but we wanted to go out and spend that money on food and drink.

The first place we visited for food and drink was Maison Hector, Gaufrerie et Sandwhcherie. I enjoyed a Crepe here and it was reasonably priced. In fact compared to everywhere else in Saint-Malo this is the best priced for quality. A short walk down Rue Saint-Vincent is Mainson Georges Larnicol with some excellent chocolates, the price is a bit high but the quality is there. The Château De La Duchesse Anne is a beautiful bit of history. This granite castle was built by the dukes of Brittany in the 14th and 15th centuries’.

A short walk from there is a lovely beach and plenty of places to explore.

I was getting fairly tired at this point, and the restaurant’s don’t open till 6/7pm. Ice cream was in order.

We had a little walk before coming to Rue Jacques Cartier; this seems to be the main hotspot for restaurants. But do explore Saint-Malo – there are other places to eat and drink. We visited Le Castello, a spot not far from our hotel.

I highly recommend you walk around the walled city, it provides some stunning views and perfect for a post meal stroll and some perfect photo opportunities.

We found an awesome spot for breakfast on the Saturday. Le Biniou with something delicious.

We paid a visit to Sanchez artisan glacier, but I didn’t expect it to be this big.

Dinner couldn’t have come sooner. I visited a lovely place with great service called La Malouinière – we enjoyed a great dinner that evening before the rain arrived.

We then indulged in the biggest desserts I’ve seen outside of the United States at a place called Timothy, I was surely piling on the weight for the flight home.

We had a lovely lie in that next morning, before visiting Timothy’s to try out the lunch menu.

Not before visiting my favourite little spot Gaufrerie et Sandwhcherie.

Later that day we visited Grand Mère Augustine for a burger, now I guess I’ll be criticised for this but it wasn’t exactly my idea. But was it tasty.

We decided to go for a rather long walk to the beach late at night, but the rain was relentless. This led me into planning the flight later that night for the next day. It was hard work. There wasn’t much opportunity to fly tomorrow, if anything.

The weather was absolutely awful as the warm front stalled pretty much from Rennes to Norfolk. How ideal. It was later that morning that I decided to scrap today, and instead check the weather tomorrow and failing that a rather expensive stay till Wednesday. The hotel was very helpful in sorting out an extra night for the aircraft at the airport. We also stayed another night at this hotel rather than positioning closer to the airport.

The weather broke for a short time only, ironically all the way from Dinard to Le Torquet was flyable. Should I have positioned closer to the UK that day or was it a wise decision to stay at Dinard?

Code: Select allTAF LFRD 090500Z 0906/1006 VRB05KT 4000 BR OVC008 TEMPO 0906/0910 2000 BR OVC003 PROB40 TEMPO 0906/0909 0500 FG VV/// BECMG 0908/0910 9999 NSW BKN020 TEMPO 0912/0919 4000 SHRA BKN010 BECMG 0917/0919 BKN012 TEMPO 0919/1004 3000 RA BKN005 PROB40 TEMPO 0919/1004 1500 RADZ BKN002 BECMG 1004/1006 BKN030 PROB40 TEMPO 1004/1006 BKN005=

TAF AMD EGLC 090637Z 0906/0915 06005KT 2500 BR BKN006 TEMPO 0906/0912 RADZ BKN004 BECMG 0909/0912 7000 NSW PROB30 TEMPO 0912/0915 9999=

There are a few good places for Pizza; we found this spot not far from our hotel.

Le Corps de Garde is a rather beautiful location for a Crepe or Dinner overlooking the Bay.

It was time to get some rest and reflect on the trip, before looking at the options for the flight home. The weather that morning was flyable but I had to be cautious about any IMC flying once clear of French Airspace. I checked the TAF’s for the London area, and it was forecast to clear before and during our arrival.

Code: Select allTAF AMD EGLC 100502Z 1005/1012 09005KT 5000 BR OVC005TEMPO 1005/1009 1400 RADZ BKN003 PROB40 TEMPO 1005/1009 0300 FG BKN001 BECMG 1009/1012 9999 NSW SCT015=

TAF LFRD 100500Z 1006/1106 VRB03KT 9999 BKN030 TEMPO 1006/1008 BKN008 TEMPO 1012/1020 4000 SHRA BKN015CB BECMG 1020/1022 3000 BR BECMG 1022/1101 1500 BR BKN002 TEMPO 1101/1106 0300 FG VV///=

I initially choose to route via Jersey because of the forecast CB’s for the region and the weather map showing a few showers during our flight. I then changed and opted for a shorter more direct flight via the Cherbourg Peninsular, a route I was familiar with from our outbound flight.

I climbed up on top via the Jersey Zone and managed to get on top of all the weather so I had a better view of the surroundings and any CB’s/TCUs. The tops of any shower clouds were 5-6000ft so I managed to avoid most of that.

I continued on cautiously. Having gone to Brest Information then onto Deauville I encountered radio issues with both frequencies. I had to think and act quickly and went back to previous frequency, which was Jersey Zone. I maintained two ways before trying again with Deauville.

They were aware of me, but not sure if they heard me. Jersey then informed me to remain with them before going over to London Information. This is when things got hairy to say the least. I was listening in and the first thing I heard was a helicopter diverting, this is when I requested the latest weather for London City. Shortly after we departed the forecast shifted.

Code: Select allTAF EGLC 100807Z 1009/1018 08007KT 2000 BR OVC003 BECMG 1009/1012 6000 NSW BKN009 BECMG 1012/1014 9999 SCT020 PROB30 TEMPO 1014/1018 4000 +SHRA BKN014CB=

I’ll let the video show you what happens, but this was probably the most intense and stressful situation I’ve ever encountered in a light aircraft. You need to act progressively and quickly but at the same time get out of a box. Weather in France was forecast to deteriorate and forecast low cloud started to limit my options for a return to France.

Southend and Biggin Hill (Both my plan B and C) were either misty or foggy and a cloud base of Category 1 ILS approach minima. This wasn’t ideal considering I’d never gone below 500ft on any ILS.

I listened carefully to each TAF/METAR before making a decision. I was roughly heading in the SOLENT area direction before confirming that I intended to land at Southampton. It was risky because there was showers of rain, and I wasn’t sure if this was frontal or from the forecast Cumulonimbus clouds.

Code: Select allMETAR EGHI 101050Z 07004KT 020V120 9999 VCSH FEW008 BKN013 11/09 Q1000=

I elected for the ILS approach, despite Southampton being on 02. This is because this was plan G or H and wasn’t thought of. Next time I’ll carry charts for more airports, because an ILS was easier to fly under the circumstances than a VOR/DME.

This is most certainly something you don’t see every day, Parked up outside Signature Handling of Southampton International Airport.

Fortunately because it was a weather diversion the airport handled us, and it wasn’t too pricy either. My passengers elected for the train to London, but I stayed with the airplane to get some lunch in the terminal building before flying home to Stapleford.

I carefully reflected on what a day it had been and how I handle the whole situation. The planned flight versus the actual routing.

Here’s the video that shows how challenging the flight was and how I kept my cool despite the immense stresses of peer pressure and the resultant flight.

After a few hours waiting around, I flew home in some Heavy IMC by myself and managed to get a bad weather circuit for Stapleford. I went around on the first approach as I wasn’t stable and elected to try again, air traffic offered Runway 03R but I decided to venture further out to stabilise the aircraft before landing.

Becoming scattered 2500ft my a**...

I decided that was enough flying for a whilst. But I guess these adventures are what really make you learn about flying.

------------------------
Update 2nd June 2018
You can now watch the video on how I decided on where to divert.

Last edited by ConcordeBA on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
george7378, renzokuken, AlanM and 1 others liked this
Nice trip Robbie, and nice videos.

The only observation I would make is that when flying a long final (and the same goes for an ILS) it isn't necessary to slow to the sort of approach speed you were taught during PPL training for circuit work.

Flying a long approach very slowly just costs you more money, assuming you pay by the hour. If the airport is busy, it may also irritate the controller and/or other pilots.

I tend to leave cruise power set (or slightly less, as manifold pressure will increase in the descent) and just take the extra speed. I fly the approach with nil flap and then in the last couple of hundred feet I pull the power back and let the speed bleed off while maintaining the glideslope, putting in the first stage of flap as the speed comes into the white arc. I don't find full flap necessary on the long runways to which this sort of approach happens. If I judge it right, I'm just decelerating to the usual circuit approach speed as I come over the threshold, ready to flare and chop the power completely.

A hand-flown ILS (which all mine are, as I have no autopilot) is also, in my experience at least, significantly easier when flown fast and clean as opposed to slow with flap. This may depend on the aircraft, but mine feels much more stable at speed and less inclined to be chucked around by the gusts which add to the challenge of keeping the needles centered. You also have the benefit of actually having to hold the needles for that much less time, since you arrive at decision altitude quicker! And with the sort of decision altitudes any sensible IMCr pilot should be using, you've plenty of time after becoming visual to bleed the speed off.

Other than an unthinking adherence to what's written on paper (which is reason enough for many), I see no advantages to dragging the aeroplane in on the back of the drag curve for several miles.
ConcordeBA liked this
mick w wrote:Give over , with that lovely Grub , I love St Malo . :wink: :thumright:

It's a pretty place to fly too. I loved the trip, cost me a fortune but plenty of France to visit soon.

defcribed wrote:Nice trip Robbie, and nice videos.

The only observation I would make is that when flying a long final (and the same goes for an ILS) it isn't necessary to slow to the sort of approach speed you were taught during PPL training for circuit work.

Flying a long approach very slowly just costs you more money, assuming you pay by the hour. If the airport is busy, it may also irritate the controller and/or other pilots.

I tend to leave cruise power set (or slightly less, as manifold pressure will increase in the descent) and just take the extra speed. I fly the approach with nil flap and then in the last couple of hundred feet I pull the power back and let the speed bleed off while maintaining the glideslope, putting in the first stage of flap as the speed comes into the white arc. I don't find full flap necessary on the long runways to which this sort of approach happens. If I judge it right, I'm just decelerating to the usual circuit approach speed as I come over the threshold, ready to flare and chop the power completely.

A hand-flown ILS (which all mine are, as I have no autopilot) is also, in my experience at least, significantly easier when flown fast and clean as opposed to slow with flap. This may depend on the aircraft, but mine feels much more stable at speed and less inclined to be chucked around by the gusts which add to the challenge of keeping the needles centered. You also have the benefit of actually having to hold the needles for that much less time, since you arrive at decision altitude quicker! And with the sort of decision altitudes any sensible IMCr pilot should be using, you've plenty of time after becoming visual to bleed the speed off.

Other than an unthinking adherence to what's written on paper (which is reason enough for many), I see no advantages to dragging the aeroplane in on the back of the drag curve for several miles.

I agree with you, it was a great trip. Thanks for reading and watching my videos.

I will be doing some circuit work on ILS approaches before my IMCr renewal if you fancy coming along for them? Obviously dependent on work and other things but It'll be a flight from Stapleford to Southend for 3 ILS approaches and then 2 RNAVs at Cambridge if you fancy coming along?
defcribed wrote: ... when flying a long final (and the same goes for an ILS) it isn't necessary to slow to the sort of approach speed you were taught during PPL training for circuit work.

I tend to leave cruise power set (or slightly less, as manifold pressure will increase in the descent) and just take the extra speed. I fly the approach with nil flap and then in the last couple of hundred feet I pull the power back and let the speed bleed off while maintaining the glideslope, putting in the first stage of flap as the speed comes into the white arc

Do not try this in a fixed pitch RV. :shock:

Meanwhile, what a great write up, full of interest. If I have one comment it is to wonder whether you would have been happier in Italy given the choices of food :wink:

Rob P
ConcordeBA liked this
I am glad you enjoyed it Rob. I definitely think Italy would be a great choice for the future, we'll soon find out. You ever been to Dinard?

Rob P wrote:
defcribed wrote: ... when flying a long final (and the same goes for an ILS) it isn't necessary to slow to the sort of approach speed you were taught during PPL training for circuit work.

I tend to leave cruise power set (or slightly less, as manifold pressure will increase in the descent) and just take the extra speed. I fly the approach with nil flap and then in the last couple of hundred feet I pull the power back and let the speed bleed off while maintaining the glideslope, putting in the first stage of flap as the speed comes into the white arc

Do not try this in a fixed pitch RV. :shock:

Meanwhile, what a great write up, full of interest. If I have one comment it is to wonder whether you would have been happier in Italy given the choices of food :wink:

Rob P