Where have you been? What have you seen?
Great video as always, Peter. :thumleft:

I flew down to La Rochelle (VFR) about four weeks ago but the grass parking was closed due to water-logging. Although it was CAVOK and 21C at destination, we had a horrible 40kt headwind much of the way at FL55 (yet wind light and variable at ground level).

When did you do your trip?
By peterh337
This past weekend. 20kt tailwind on the way there and around zero on the way back. A rare scenario!

The current notam says UNPAVED PARKING AREA E CLOSED but the main area G was available and in reasonable condition. Anyway, area E is really crappy and last time I had a look it was full of huge rocks; I would never taxi there under power.

A PA46T landed and had booked a hard surface. I don't know the cost but at least there is now an apparent process for getting tarmac.
Yes, I had to park on the tarmac - just adjacent to grass area Golf and across from the fuel pumps - although I hadn't pre-booked it so I was lucky!

I don't recall that they charged me any more than parking on the grass, presumably because both Golf and Echo grass parking were closed, so they couldn't offer grass parking at all. I believe they charge more (and require pre-booking) for the tarmac when the grass parking is available but you want hard parking.
By peterh337
I always fly an ILS if it is available. It gives me a radio check on NAV1 + NAV2 and exercises a load of avionics all in one go. An ILS is the ultimate lifesaver and one day I might be glad it is working.

Otherwise, I have to fly to Lydd (without landing) and pay something like £20 for it, which is OK, but La Rochelle is a whole load more scenic.
What notice did you have to give for Customs i.e. non-Schengen immigration? Did you do the notice for your return flight at the same time?
I don't know how flexible French customs are, not just in case of delays on an inbound flight but also on departure timing when one returns to the UK, The need for notice on return flights seems to take away one of the delights of private flying, the ability to be flexible on timings.
By stodge
Great video as always. I've done the same route several times (from Denham) both VFR and more recently IFR, and had the same problem with late radar vectors for the ILS, like you ending up on the other side of the localiser path and having to beat upwind to get back just as the glideslope came in!

Given what looks like CAVOK conditions, I did wonder why you went through that complex circling procedure rather than requesting a visual approach and, coming from the north, a simple left base join for R09?

Stodge
By peterh337
"What notice did you have to give for Customs i.e. non-Schengen immigration? "

Per the AIP + any notams - can't remember; 8hrs?

When departing France and needing Immigration, you can get some trouble if you exercise the EOBT minus 15 mins option:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-ta ... ce-avignon

:)

"I did wonder why you went through that complex circling procedure rather than requesting a visual approach and, coming from the north, a simple left base join for R09? "

As previously mentioned, to test the aircraft systems.

I did a little local flight today and called up Lydd for a practice ILS and a go-around back to Shoreham, as I have done countless times, only to be bluntly told by the lady ATCO that this is on PPR and (by implication) only by PHONE. So, they are "doing a Duxford" (a farce whereby they actually told us to land at Cambridge and make a phone call)... What about a satellite phone? Duxford lost a lot of traffic when the word of that dumb practice got around the well known UK "boycott Airport X" site ;) and they stopped doing it (this was some years ago) so I don't see why Lydd can't accept an ILS if they have a time slot. ATC are sitting there in the tower anyway, getting paid...

So if I can get a free ILS without any hassle and check everything works, plus get a bit of practice for myself, I go for it. I am not renting so I am not paying £loads per hour to fly a few extra miles.

One day an ILS might save my life.