Where have you been? What have you seen?
A month in the planning, a dream from many years ago back in my NPPL days was a trip to Jersey, Channel Islands.

I never quite got there and after almost 7 years flying, I made the trip; armed with an Instrument rating restricted, night rating and the support from a fellow pilot and friend Amie.

The 24th quickly turned up and all the paperwork and flight plans had been filed the night before. Rather than explain what’s required. The fun in researching this trip was hugely rewarding and makes this flying hobby even more fun. Do check online it’s rewarding planning such a flight.

After much dilberation, something I do a lot even with an IMC ticket (as I’m not much a fan of turbulence, but with time I guess I’ll get over how uncomfortable it can be)

We routed IFR the whole journey, so I could get some proper time in and enjoy myself. The headwind on SkyDemon for my routing was horrendous. Over 2 hours due to a strong headwind. So not much coffee before the flight.

We routed BAKER TUNBY LUMBA SFD BOGNA ABSAV ORTAC which in practice is quite straightforward on paper but navigates and negotiates some complicated airspace to remain as high as possible.

The plan was to depart very early, have lunch then fly home with enough buffer before sunset. We watched the weather for the London Area, which was plagued by clearing mist/fog and low cloud.

Code: Select allTAF AMD EGSS 240708Z 2407/2512 22007KT 9999 FEW006
         TEMPO 2407/2409 3000 RADZ BR BKN006
         TEMPO 2409/2504 BKN012
         BECMG 2411/2414 22017KT
         TEMPO 2411/2418 23019G29KT
         BECMG 2504/2507 BKN012
         TEMPO 2505/2508 8000 -RA BKN005
         PROB30 TEMPO 2506/2510 3000 RADZ BKN002
         BECMG 2509/2512 28010KT FEW025=

A quick check of Jersey, a much better picture rather than a ruler length TAF. Along with our alternate Guernsey. Our secondary alternate as filed was Bournemouth, as I was due to fly later that week for maintenance so found it ideal if the Channel Islands became less than ideal.

Code: Select allTAF EGJJ 240803Z 2409/2418 21015KT 9999 FEW005 BKN014
         BECMG 24011/2413 SCT020=

So it all worked out, we delayed our departure had multiple alternatives and decided to make the 2hrs+ flight landing just after lunch.

Here’s the view once we climbed above the clearing front. This is what I dreamed the IMC rating would be all about. As soon as we departed we climbed straight into IMC at 1000ft, and sat in the tops for what seemed like an age. The LTMA for the initial routing east of LCY is 2500ft, cruise was at 2400ft and the tops of cloud was 2400ft; not ideal as it was pretty uncomfortable.

I was so happy about the flight I even decided to get a picture of me enjoying what I enjoy most about flying! The view.

We gave Plymouth Mil a call to negotiate a more direct routing to ORTAC once clear of the LTMA. Not much happening up here so a slow a climb to FL80, of approx 500fpm to keep the speed but also the engine cool and my passenger comfort levels. This was having spoke to the owner about such a long flight across water. His advice as an instructor was very rewarding and allows me to fly the airplane properly.

Earlier that morning I had a good look at the winds, and it looked like a massive convergence had formed right on our routing south of the coast (this is the G29 in the TAF for later that day). The winds were immense at 5000ft, almost 55knots. I can imagine the direct routing cleared us from the lumps and bumps and gave us an all around quicker flight to Jersey.

I’ve also included my latest VLOG for you. Here’s the highlights to Jersey. Includes the ILS approach to Runway 26.

We didn’t have much time, due to the 50knot headwinds and compounded by the fact we departed so late due to debating on the cloud base for departure.

We walked locally to the Garden Centre and had a spot of lunch and some much needed sugar (free advert for Coca Cola)

With not much time to be all millennial, we quickly noted the deteriorating weather out of Jersey and back at home. Not ideal when we both had work the next day.

We checked the aircraft together and gave her an external once over (something I always do, and spot commercial pilots doing at airports all the time is that overview look after a walk around)

Same routing for the return, this time at almost double the speed and slightly higher. Climbing up to 5000ft on the SID out of Jersey.

As we climbed up we hit 175knots in the cruise, and at 201.3mph and almost 2 miles in the air I decided to take a picture of this amazing moment admiring the beauty that we all do and love - flight.

As we descended with the LTMA we picked up a lot of moisture and the cold wing tips appeared to collect some ice (it was just below 10*c) so this was interesting, although we want 100% sure if it was ice. It was pretty choppy in the precipitation, and we’d already considered our divert options before descent (flying with a fellow PPL is gold dust in these situations) but ultimately I had the rating for this weather and elected to continue to Stapleford to find a gap or a break without using a busy instrument approach equipped airport.

A quick descion to stay in the uncomfortable weather rather than descend to MSA and we found a break just passing routen mast. Then we hit the gusty winds, which was pretty uncomfortable at some points. A non-standard left base at Stapleford for a lovely landing.

A flight time of 1hr 29 minutes. Far quicker than the 2 hours 8 mins outbound.

Enjoy the video and please don’t forget to subscribe and continue your support, along with constructive criticism as I improve my flying skills and encourage more people to fly GA with exciting adventures.

Dave W, Rob L, AlanM and 2 others liked this
Rob L wrote:You look bored in that selfie. You should try some low-level flying for a change of scenery (perhaps not in that particular aircraft...buy a Cub!)

Merry Christmas!

Granted, I did enjoy myself more on that picture as it was a quicker flight home. In perspective I do love the high altitude stuff but I will have to plan a low altitude flight at some point, to take in the scenery and put on YouTube :) Was that a hinted request? :D

Merry Christmas.
ConcordeBA wrote:Granted, I did enjoy myself more on that picture as it was a quicker flight home. In perspective I do love the high altitude stuff but I will have to plan a low altitude flight at some point, to take in the scenery and put on YouTube :) Was that a hinted request? :D

Merry Christmas.

It's a hinted offer :D I like your trip reports for their content, although I'm not wholly convinced about the zipzip music :? Nip up to my home base in the midlands some time and try something low and slow, as my guest (not a Cub in my case).

Rob
ConcordeBA liked this
Rob L wrote:
ConcordeBA wrote:Granted, I did enjoy myself more on that picture as it was a quicker flight home. In perspective I do love the high altitude stuff but I will have to plan a low altitude flight at some point, to take in the scenery and put on YouTube :) Was that a hinted request? :D

Merry Christmas.

It's a hinted offer :D I like your trip reports for their content, although I'm not wholly convinced about the zipzip music :? Nip up to my home base in the midlands some time and try something low and slow, as my guest (not a Cub in my case).

Rob

Just got back from work, will check your message later. It's the YouTube appeal factor when it comes to the music.

Again a lot of work to be done on getting General Aviation out there to the YouTube generation. Stay tuned.

That would be epic =) will reply when I can properly digest.
AlanM wrote:Really neat videos - thank you for sharing

Hi Alan,

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoy many more videos to come of my flying experiences!

Cheers for now!
AlanM liked this
Very nice Robbie - I always enjoy going to Jersey and I especially enjoy those VMC on top IFR flights.

Rather jealous of the autopilot. Any trip like that for me means embracing a serious head-down hand-flying session which, while it's great for the skills, doesn't enhance the relaxation factor.
ConcordeBA liked this
defcribed wrote:Very nice Robbie - I always enjoy going to Jersey and I especially enjoy those VMC on top IFR flights.

Rather jealous of the autopilot. Any trip like that for me means embracing a serious head-down hand-flying session which, while it's great for the skills, doesn't enhance the relaxation factor.

I need to do less autopilot stuff. But it's hard work and I am sure more confidence required to do hands on. I look down even with the autopilot and keep my hands on at all times where possible. I hate the jolts you get inside cloud :(
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nice video.
However being a bit picky, ORTAC is currently class A above 5,500, which means that your planned routing at FL080 would be illegal on an IR(R). (ORTAC used be class A from 3500’ - only changed to 5500 in May 2017)

From the video, it looks as if you didn’t get to FL080, but I wondered if you were aware that you cannot go into class A airspace on an IR(R)?