Where have you been? What have you seen?
By late September I was planning a trip to Jersey, CI. I hadn't done much in the way of Instrument flying since my Newquay trip and even then that was in moderation to what flying I could face all the way to Jersey using the IR(R).

I wanted to convince myself that I could fly 2hrs 30 minutes non-stop and have no issues whatsoever, but by late October the weather could go either way and a flight in IMC has some big considerations in a NON-FIKI aircraft.

In preparation for a very long flight to Jersey, I and Ventzi flew to Cambridge from Stapleford.

The flight was flown entirely on IFR rules, in VMC conditions. This gave me practice before undertaking such a long flight in potential IMC conditions to the Channel Islands.

We depart Stapleford with some communication problems, caused by me accidentally turning down the volume rather than the squelch. We flew up to waypoint DAGGA, climbing to 5000ft once clear of the London TMA then onto ADNAM were Wattisham was a great help in transferring our details to Cambridge for the ILS procedure.

We had to fly the 10DME ARC due to lack of radar. After a lovely landing, we took a bus into Cambridge for a stroll and a late lunch. Here's the video of the flight to Cambridge.

We had an amazing walk towards Trinity College, taking in the sights and seeing what was available for lunch. Me and my friend closely decided on searching for an Indian. Nivedyam came up reasonably priced for lunch time and was only a short walk away.

After a lovely lunch in Cambridge and knowing our take-off weight was now the same as what it was when we departed London, we decided to go for some more walking and explore the University town.

We stumbled across The Pepys Library of Magdalene College, Cambridge, which is the personal library collected by Samuel Pepys. The library houses Samuel Pepys's original diaries and remains one of the most significant collections of books, manuscripts, documents and prints acquired by any private individual.

Much of the planning for the return flight was completed, but we didn't have as much time as I'd hope and a day trip with limited daylight hours isn't ideal. But one to visit in the Summer, maybe for a weekend.

This was brilliant preparation for my flight to Jersey, as the flight time was 4x as long so time would be limited to enjoy and make careful considerations for the flight home. Of course a quick weather check before departing and any updates to NOTAMS in this extremely friendly airport.

The only downside to Cambridge is no radar. Enjoy the flight home!

Miscellaneous wrote:I got as far as seeing photographs of lunch, thought I was on FB and got the h@11 out of there. :wink:

Watch the videos ;)

PeteSpencer wrote:Nice write up and video:
Two comments: Cambridge normally has Radar: you were unlucky that day.
And the first image is King's College Chapel not Trinity!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the feedback, hope you enjoyed both videos? I was told that Cambridge regularly doesn't have radar? I must have been ill-informed.

I agree, It's just the text that I wrote doesn't match up with that picture. We did however start with Trinity College.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ConcordeBA wrote:[

Thank you for the feedback, hope you enjoyed both videos? I was told that Cambridge regularly doesn't have radar? I must have been ill-informed.

They've certainly had staffing problems in the summer: I got 'cancelled' while I was in the air on my way to a pre-booked practice ILS: staffing problems wouldn't even let me do a DME arc: So I baled to Norwich who could accommodate me at great(er) expense.

Though this is the only time I've had 'no radar' and I use Cambridge a fair bit.

Is your DA40 A/P a wing leveller only or Alt keeping?

Our ancient Arrer has wing leveller which after nearly 45 years still works well, tho' placarded to be off by 1000 aal.

The bus from the airport ( part of Park and Ride) is dead handy for Cambridge visits, especially in the summer when you can cram a lot in for v little hassle.
Peter
Rob P wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Cambridge normally has Radar: you were unlucky that day.

Cambridge these days frequently doesn't have radar.

Rob P

What's the reason? It's so good value for money and nearby, such a shame I can't be vectored.

PeteSpencer wrote:
ConcordeBA wrote:[

They've certainly had staffing problems in the summer: I got 'cancelled' while I was in the air on my way to a pre-booked practice ILS: staffing problems wouldn't even let me do a DME arc: So I baled to Norwich who could accommodate me at great(er) expense.

Though this is the only time I've had 'no radar' and I use Cambridge a fair bit.

Is your DA40 A/P a wing leveller only or Alt keeping?

Our ancient Arrer has wing leveller which after nearly 45 years still works well, tho' placarded to be off by 1000 aal.

The bus from the airport ( part of Park and Ride) is dead handy for Cambridge visits, especially in the summer when you can cram a lot in for v little hassle.
Peter

Is it staffing problems? As I said above, good value for money and not that far. Southend is also pretty good priced vs Biggin Hill.

The DA40 I fly has it all. It can go down to 200ft (IR(A)) But I am restricted to +500ft on the IR(R). It works pretty damn well if you know how to use it and use it regularly. Not had any issues at all except a bit of turbulence coming into Jersey, but I was told everyone gets that at Jersey. I'll probably include it in my upcoming video :)

Recommend anywhere to stay?

Regards,
I have never asked as I have no particular need of a radar service from them, but I believe it is indeed staffing problems.

Mrs P spends a lot of time booking people from her company into Cambridge hotels. If you'd like to give a few parameters I am sure she can suggest suitable places for an overnight. The only thing I can readily recall from recent times is that the Marco Pierre White restaurant at the Doubletree by Hilton does the chef no credit and is definitely to be avoided

Rob P
ConcordeBA liked this
Why oh why do some regular posters spoil what is an excellent travelogue by ranting on and on about the availability or not of bluddy radar at Cambridge. The journey was about the pleasure of the flight and the availability of a good regular bus service into the centre of beautiful Cambridge and we should encourage pilots to make the same journey.
Why oh why do some regular posters spoil what is an excellent travelogue by ranting on and on about the availability or not of bluddy radar at Cambridge. The journey was about the pleasure of the flight and the availability of a good regular bus service into the centre of beautiful Cambridge and we should encourage pilots to make the same journey.
By PeteSpencer
Bobcro wrote:Why oh why do some regular posters spoil what is an excellent travelogue by ranting on and on about the availability or not of bluddy radar at Cambridge. The journey was about the pleasure of the flight and the availability of a good regular bus service into the centre of beautiful Cambridge and we should encourage pilots to make the same journey.

If you mean me I don't recall ranting on about radar services:
I use Cambridge a fair bit and usually get radar no problem.
Great value if you're a member of CAFC.

Peter
By PeteSpencer
ConcordeBA wrote:

Regards,

In the summer months most of the Cambridge Colleges will rent out rooms: Basic student stuff, but cheap and central.

And for lunch. Loch Fyne on Trumpington Street (used to be the Little Rose pub in my undergraduate days) opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum does mean oysters.

Peter
Radar at Cambridge seems to be a bit 50:50 for me. No idea of the reasons.

Robbie - you do seem to have a bit of a blind spot with not including your aircraft type and altitude in your initial calls! Perhaps a little less of the "very good morning to you" and a bit more of the information they need ;-)
PeteSpencer wrote:
ConcordeBA wrote:

Regards,

In the summer months most of the Cambridge Colleges will rent out rooms: Basic student stuff, but cheap and central.

And for lunch. Loch Fyne on Trumpington Street (used to be the Little Rose pub in my undergraduate days) opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum does mean oysters.

Peter

That's ideal, but do they actually advertise that - and where do they advertise it? It's such a short flight so it's a struggle asking the owner to let me take it away for a long period of time. But it's worth a nightstop for sure.

I do love good food. Hoping to make more cool videos and share what I do away on light aircraft trips and my motto it's not just about the flying, to get people into flying.

defcribed wrote:Radar at Cambridge seems to be a bit 50:50 for me. No idea of the reasons.

Robbie - you do seem to have a bit of a blind spot with not including your aircraft type and altitude in your initial calls! Perhaps a little less of the "very good morning to you" and a bit more of the information they need ;-)

I'd like to know, because what a great friendly facility in the SE of England. They could charge a £10 for an ILS approach and half of SE England or more would fly there for Instrument training. Even got offered a nice coffee for free.

That's one of the reasons I started these videos is to improve everything in my flying. If you watch my first VLOG back in March, I made an absolute **** up of everything and everything. I've learnt so much from that one flight alone that I created a PLOG that suits me and gives me all the information I need. I've had no issues since. There is more to learn and I am glad you picked it up, I picked up my poor radio-telephony on the editing of that video and will work on that over the coming weeks when I next fly.

I plan to start the Instrument Rating end of next year so will be flying a lot this coming year to boost my skills and some cool videos to come with them.

Rob P wrote:I have never asked as I have no particular need of a radar service from them, but I believe it is indeed staffing problems.

Mrs P spends a lot of time booking people from her company into Cambridge hotels. If you'd like to give a few parameters I am sure she can suggest suitable places for an overnight. The only thing I can readily recall from recent times is that the Marco Pierre White restaurant at the Doubletree by Hilton does the chef no credit and is definitely to be avoided

Rob P

Let me now what is suggested and I'll have a gander. Some other people will find them useful on here, I am sure :)
Re: Cambridge and their radar, I have heard two different rumours (staffing problems and saving money turning it off when no big jets inbound) but both just hearsay.

On the RT, congratulations on being the first person ever on the Flyer Forum to take constructive criticism in the spirit in which it was intended!

I've always found that key to efficient RT has been understanding what the the person at the other end is trying to do for you and what they need. One point shown in this video is the difference between an approach service without radar compared to one with (which normally changes the callsign from approach to radar to give you a clue). Without radar you're limited to a basic or procedural service. Another is the pieces of information they need - type and altitude are important - and as you can hear they immediately ask you for them following your initial call. Some things they don't need, and you can experiment by leaving them out and seeing if you get asked for them. I find that unless you're calling the tower for initial taxy instructions they're not usually very interested in how many are on board (I've never been asked for it), and unless it's for a controlled airspace crossing they're not usually interested in whether you're VFR or IFR. It's all about being quick, succinct and getting off the air so someone else can get their call in! :-)
ConcordeBA liked this