Where have you been? What have you seen?
ConcordeBA wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:
ConcordeBA wrote:
Recommend anywhere to stay?

Regards,

In the summer months most of the Cambridge Colleges will rent out rooms: Basic student stuff, but cheap and central.

And for lunch. Loch Fyne on Trumpington Street (used to be the Little Rose pub in my undergraduate days) opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum does mean oysters.

Peter

That's ideal, but do they actually advertise that - and where do they advertise it? It's such a short flight so it's a struggle asking the owner to let me take it away for a long period of time. But it's worth a nightstop for sure.

A quick google comes up with this: https://www.universityrooms.com/en-GB/c ... ridge/home

In addition many Colleges advertise individually: Local knowledge will tell you which ones are central and which are way out on the outskirts.
I usually phone my old College (right in the middle of town) direct.
Again Google is yer friend
ConcordeBA liked this
defcribed wrote:Re: Cambridge and their radar, I have heard two different rumours (staffing problems and saving money turning it off when no big jets inbound) but both just hearsay.

On the RT, congratulations on being the first person ever on the Flyer Forum to take constructive criticism in the spirit in which it was intended!

I've always found that key to efficient RT has been understanding what the the person at the other end is trying to do for you and what they need. One point shown in this video is the difference between an approach service without radar compared to one with (which normally changes the callsign from approach to radar to give you a clue). Without radar you're limited to a basic or procedural service. Another is the pieces of information they need - type and altitude are important - and as you can hear they immediately ask you for them following your initial call. Some things they don't need, and you can experiment by leaving them out and seeing if you get asked for them. I find that unless you're calling the tower for initial taxy instructions they're not usually very interested in how many are on board (I've never been asked for it), and unless it's for a controlled airspace crossing they're not usually interested in whether you're VFR or IFR. It's all about being quick, succinct and getting off the air so someone else can get their call in! :-)

Regarding the constructive criticism, by posting my videos online I’m knowingly opening myself to that. Which makes me a better pilot, for free. That’s the whole point of my videos is to improve my flying but share that enjoyment for others to experience and encourage more GA.

I have big plans for my videos in the new year, so hoping I can keep that originality but get more people interested.

So many people in the US do it and enjoy it.

PeteSpencer wrote:
ConcordeBA wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:
In the summer months most of the Cambridge Colleges will rent out rooms: Basic student stuff, but cheap and central.

And for lunch. Loch Fyne on Trumpington Street (used to be the Little Rose pub in my undergraduate days) opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum does mean oysters.

Peter

That's ideal, but do they actually advertise that - and where do they advertise it? It's such a short flight so it's a struggle asking the owner to let me take it away for a long period of time. But it's worth a nightstop for sure.

A quick google comes up with this: https://www.universityrooms.com/en-GB/c ... ridge/home

In addition many Colleges advertise individually: Local knowledge will tell you which ones are central and which are way out on the outskirts.
I usually phone my old College (right in the middle of town) direct.
Again Google is yer friend

Ideal - nice place to relax for a short city break in the UK. I doubt I could take the aircraft down the road on a weekend so might save it for a drive.