Where have you been? What have you seen?
By G-Ninj
Hi Folks,

I am looking for some new places to fly to if folk wouldn't mind helping out. I found a topic several months ago were someone asked the same question, but I cannot find this topic anymore. I don't even remember which forum it was on either. So I will ask for myself this time.

I am currently flying out of Perth, Scotland.

I have my PPL, currently doing my hour building whilst doing my ATPL's and squeeze in a full time job (with varying shifts) as well.

I have flew to Glasgow, Prestwick and Cumbernauld several times. But I am looking for somewhere new. Does anyone have any other places to visit?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

GN
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It depends to some extent what aircraft you are using, but Oban, Inverness and Wick spring instantly to mind, come the spring the Western isles.

Over the Border into England there are numerous suitable airfields within an hour or so of Perth.
By Charles Hunt
Also, rather than flying the same routes over and over again to build the hours, try to find 3 or 4 days off and come down to the south coast, just as I with Shrek235 have done in reverse from Shoreham to Inverness or Wick.

To Wick we went Shoreham, Breighton, Perth, Inverness.

To Inverness via Sleap, Low Level Corridor, and Prestwick, then back via Oban and Gloucester IIRC.
By Miscellaneous
Very doable, popular with Scottish pilots and generally overlooked by pilots from the south is Dornoch. Lovely field with very pleasant walk in to the town.

Beware of Tain range.

If you go over the winter take care. The PC12 which serves Skibo has carved it up somewhat.
G-Ninj liked this
By Charliesixtysix
It might be worth looking at it another way.

Quite a bit of my own flying is not centred on where to go but rather on who to spend a day flying with and what might we see along the way.

For example, four of us in two aircraft enjoyed Saturday chasing around central England, having fun with a bit of formation flying, a chat over lunch and then taking a different route home to go and play in the snowy Derbyshire Peaks.

Total flight time was not much over an hour and, on a A to B basis, might not have looked very exciting as we lunched at an airfield we have all been to loads of times - but we have never done the trip we did on Saturday before and never will again.
A grand day out. :thumleft:
mick w liked this
By Rob L
G-Ninj, what are your flying ambitions in terms of "where to go"?

Just local? See above.
Places afar?
Go south to England, Wales, Europe.
Go East to Scandinavia.
Go South-west to Ireland

Get a subscription to an electronic CAA chart and/or upload Google Earth and see how many hours you need for your hour-building and then make a route to fulfil that requirement.

Above all, make a timely response to those who have already kindly responded to your initial enquiry :roll:
By Rob L
Rob L wrote:....Above all, make a timely response to those who have already kindly responded to your initial enquiry :roll:

9 days on and no "timely" response from G-Ninj; I hope he or she is well. Anyone know him/her? Rob
By G-Ninj
Sorry folks, I haven't been ignoring anyone. I have been extremely busy with work due to the time of year.

I use the club's C152. I don't have time (due to work commitments) to be heading off for days at a time though. Can only really manage one full day of flying.

I was only looking for any suggestions to other airfields. I know all the big ones, was looking for any smaller airfields that I was aware of.

Tah,

GN
By Rob L
Happy new year to you, GN. Yes you have. Please don't post a request here and then ignore it for a month.

Rob
By G-Ninj
Miscellaneous wrote:Very doable, popular with Scottish pilots and generally overlooked by pilots from the south is Dornoch. Lovely field with very pleasant walk in to the town.

Beware of Tain range.

If you go over the winter take care. The PC12 which serves Skibo has carved it up somewhat.

Thanks for this. This is why I had posted. I never knew the place existed. It is one for the list of where to fly. Thanks again :thumleft:
By G-Ninj
Does anyone on here fly from Perth or the surrounding area? I have been looking for a flying buddy to go on trips with, though no joy at the moment.