Where have you been? What have you seen?
Hello,

I took on my longest solo navex over the last 5 days and am rather chuffed to now be a member of that exclusive club called the "Venice-Lido Airport members Club". :D

I won't bore you with a trip report but thought you may enjoy a few pictures and it might even inspire some other to do the trip. Full of challenges and stretched me at times but, heck, it was worth it now that I can catch my breath and start de-briefing myself. My instrument hours grew over the last 5 days as the weather threw me many curved balls. :cyclopsani:

Routing down to Grenoble Isere.

Getting airborne out of Cannes

Views running along from Cannes to Venice

Base to final and Final at Lido

Departure from Lido delayed.

Some of the weather challenges - :D

Routing past Genova - engine failure your are stuffed. :shock:
Dave W, mick w liked this
Charles Hunt wrote:Great stuff. Doable VFR if the weather complies, and you can get to grips with Italian airspace that often only allows you only 1,000 feet above ground level. Instrument abilities definitely a help.

Yeah, I had a 500ft height restriction routing back past Nice. Good fun. Trying to get the life raft deployed in the space of 500ft would have been interesting. :lol:
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shrek235 wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:Great stuff. Doable VFR if the weather complies, and you can get to grips with Italian airspace that often only allows you only 1,000 feet above ground level. Instrument abilities definitely a help.

Yeah, I had a 500ft height restriction routing back past Nice. Good fun. Trying to get the life raft deployed in the space of 500ft would have been interesting. :lol:

That's normal for VFR traffic
Shrek235 wrote:... I won't bore you with a trip report ...
(my snip)

I think you should :thumleft: (or at least embellish your pictures with a bit more detail). For example, why is said club so exclusive?

I enjoy reading the detail of other pilot's flying trips.

Rob
GG-33 wrote:Well done...I would like to join that one...

You now need to become a member of the very exclusive "Svalbard Airport Club" ;-)

My main over sight on this trip was not taking enough oil with me. I stupidly thought you could buy oil at these regional airports - how wrong was I. I used the spare oil first time into Grenoble Isere thinking I could buy oil at Lido. Well, I eventually managed to buy 1 litre of oil after much begging and pleading and that cost me 40 Euros. I would have paid more had I any more Euros on me. Back at Grenoble Isere I scrounged more oil from a maintenance company who kindly pumped out 3 litres of the black gold from their big drums. That cost me 45 euros but I was super grateful and I only had to beg a little. :D Lesson learnt. :oops:
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Oil is available at the Lido. I bought 4 quarts when I visited with the Robin (we couldn't find any in Cannes). It was expensive though.

The Lido is one of my favourite airports. What an approach ! Great Art Deco terminal with bar, restaurant and grand piano. And then grab a speed boat taxi straight in to town from right outside the terminal entrance.

Watch the departure though when you end up heading straight at a bloody great cruise liner which goes straight across the end of the sea-level grass runway.

I've been in there with Seneca, Robin and TB20 now. I'd go back any time. There should be another Raduno next year so watch this space.

Iceman 8)
Iceman wrote:Oil is available at the Lido. I bought 4 quarts when I visited with the Robin (we couldngit 't find any in Cannes). It was expensive though.

Iceman 8)

Sadly, the oil at Lido cost me 40 Euro for 1 litre and I was told in no uncertain terms that was the last of the oil. However, when I first asked for oil the one chap told me basically to FO. So I cornered another chap and started off by saying "I have ex number of Euros if someone has any oil to sell". Said bottle appeared. I guess I just caught them on an off day or........... they just did not like my face. :D Cannes had no oil, or that is what they told me and as I mentioned, I got some more at the AMO at Grenoble. Anyhow, I will always make sure I have ample spare oil in the boot for future trips. Less hassle.
Iceman liked this
Lovely aircraft Colonel Panic. How long ago was the picture taken? At times, the thought of a second engine did appeal to me. I contemplated parking where you did but as there was no ATC in resident when I arrived I opted for the hardstand. No one seemed to mind. The grass parking area looked too lumpy and soggy to me. Not a very good picture below but single pilot flying dictates prioritising duties. :lol: Just trying to see what might have changed since your picture was taken. Not much I suspect. Thanks for posting.