Where have you been? What have you seen?
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
After 3 years of trying to line up my Dad's week-long stay in the Scillies in October with the weather and aircraft I finally made it there on Thursday afternoon, following the cold front southwards.

FIrst stop was a fuel and toasty stop at Lands End, sharing the apron with the 3 Twin Otters. The airport has obviously had money spent on it recently, modern with a nice little cafe. Extremely friendly and helpful ATC.

Lifejacket on and headed out to St Mary's early afternoon. You could just see the Scillies from OHD Lands End. The Otters go over at 1500ft / 1000ft so anything above that is preferred. I opted for 4000ft (but confidence increased for the return so took 2000ft on the way back).

Again - Scillies ATC were fantastic and allowed me a tour of the islands (both on arrival and departure). Runway 32 was in use for arrival with a slight crosswind, but easily managed this plus the upslope on the humped runway. Again the terminal here has obviously had money spent on it with a similar cafe in a modern building.

Parking was tie down on the grass only (concrete blocks available) but Wednesday's wind had died down so this wasn't the worry it could have been.

Friday's weather was glorious with light winds and a departure from 14 with a clockwise island tour at 2000ft before heading back to the Cornish coast and up to Perranporth for lunch - another friendly field with fuel with a fun circuit out to sea to the West.

Huge thanks to all the ATC units I spoke to - all helpful, friendly and professional as ever.

Absolutely great little trip. Loads of photos and video to sort through of course but here's a taster of the Scillies to hopefully inspire:

Colonel Panic, Iceman, Lockhaven and 13 others liked this
By Iceman
Yep, it's gorgeous there, particularly on a hot summer's day. Now that they have the hour departure slot in place on the Sunday afternoon, a lot more viable as a weekend destination.

Iceman 8)
ianfallon liked this
By chrisadams
Well done Ian, its a lovely place isn't it. I did it quite some years ago in a Jodel, landing on 09, crested the hump and seemed to be gathering speed down the other side toward the end of runway cliff edge. Thank goodness brakes held up fine. As I was last flight in, everyone had gone by the time I'd picketed the plane down. Walked from airport to the Garrison campsite carting all my camping gear, through Hugh Town and up to the camp site ( LH clearing on the promontory to the left of Hugh Town in your first photo). Lot further than I thought it would be. I let a flying colleague know where I was and he put me in touch with another Jodel owner who is based on St Mary's. He came to give me a lift on the Saturday when I was due to leave, back to the airport. No Sunday departures in those days.

Time I went back again, though similarly to you Glenforsa has eluded me as a destination. In fact Scillies became my destination on that occasion because of poor WX in Scotland.
ianfallon liked this
I've been going to the Scillies for 30 years now, my wife since she was born !

Could we stop advertising how fantastic it is there please ;-)

Could we only talk to about it when we meet up and stuff like that.

If we keep talking about it on the internet, EVERYONE will start going, it's such a magical place.

Seriously,

So glad you made it down there Ian, one day when I'm a wee bit more experienced, it's on my list.
ianfallon liked this
By Iceman
I tried getting a room there for the August BH weekend, admittedly pretty late whilst sat at Luc & Edith's BBQ in Cherbourg on the Saturday. I couldn't find a single room anywhere.

Iceman 8)
By ianfallon
Cessna57 wrote:when I'm a wee bit more experienced, it's on my list.

If you get the right weather, it's not really any more challenging than any other cross-country. More a question of confidence with the crossing - the return trip feels a lot more relaxed!

Glenforsa is the next one I'd like to tick off the list when I can.
By CloudHound
My wife and I honeymoon’d there 31 years ago this week. It remains a magical place in both our minds and so frustrating we won’t be able to get back there in CloudHound.

I’d encourage everyone to fly there at least once in their plane.
Cessna57 liked this
By Cessna57
CloudHound wrote:My wife and I honeymoon’d there 31 years ago this week. It remains a magical place in both our minds and so frustrating we won’t be able to get back there in CloudHound.

I’d encourage everyone to fly there at least once in their plane.

What is it about pilots and the Scillies ?
By Dave W
It's because little aeroplanes and islands are made for one another. Getting to islands is often a time consuming pain except with a little aeroplane it is quick, fun, and picture-skew.
Nick, FrankS, ianfallon and 8 others liked this