Where have you been? What have you seen?
At Portsmouth harbour UK. A favourite of mine; such a lot going on, but also busy and surrounded by allocated airspace. I was keen to see the new arrival HMS Queen Elizabeth currently being kitted out and set to work.
I, having spent some weeks assisting with telemetry for Sea Harrier trials on the carrier HMS Hermes as an RAe Bedford apprentice years back, was interested to see the little boaty Mcboatface.

The radar head was revolving and who knows maybe weapon systems were alarming and tracking me as an 'incoming'; in my fibreglass 'stealth fighter'.
Exercises werescheduled according to SkyD NOTAMs but when I enquired of Solent Radar for more details they said it was a SD error (sure hope they were right). Hey I used the new listening squawk!

ImageDSC01404 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC01416 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC01420 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC01435 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC01439 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Excellent. :D

Birdyboy1 wrote:I, having spent some weeks assisting with telemetry for Sea Harrier trials on the carrier HMS Hermes as an RAe Bedford apprentice years back...

Aha! I reckon the chances are high that you and I know some of the same people. :thumleft:

Birdyboy1 wrote:Exercises werescheduled according to SkyD NOTAMs but when I enquired of Solent Radar for more details they said it was a SD error (sure hope they were right).

I bet it wasn't an SD error. Lots of NOTAMs published are tagged as "Exercises scheduled" when they are nothing that you might expect like that: Lasers, GPS trials, radar things - all sorts of stuff that doesn't affect us in practice.