Where have you been? What have you seen?
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This August, I took my unmodified Piper Lance, N101DW back to its country of origin from its base in Cambridge.

The route was Cambridge - Wick - Reykjavik - Narsarsuaq - Goose Bay - Sept Iles - Bangor - Worcester Mass.

The Lance carries 94 useable USG of fuel and burns 13.3GPH on average at a TAS of 155 knots at my usual cruising level of between FL100 and FL120. For planning purposes, you can think of this as around 0630 to dry tanks or a range from take-off to dry tanks of around 930nm. All of this assumes no wind.

The longest legs on that route are the two Greenland legs and both are around 675nm. Whilst this is well within the aircraft's range, the issue is that having reached Greenland, if unable to land, alternates are few and far between. There is a point of no return, and you need to be absolutely on top of flight planning to make sure you don't pass it without reasonable certainty of landing.

Both the outbound and return flight are split over three flying days.

Outbound, Day 1 consists of Cambridge to Wick to Reykjavik. Day 2 is a big day, consisting of Reykjavik to Narsarsuaq to Goose Bay to Sept Illes. I prefer to continue down into Sept Iles because being in Quebec, the cuisine is rather better than Goose Bay. But it does make for a long day's flying, helped only because you are following the sun and crossing many advantageous time zones. Day 3 then consists of a run down to Bangor Maine to clear into the US, and then a short hop down to Worcester, our destination.

Back home, the route is the same, except that from Worcester, day 1 simply consists of getting to Goose Bay via Bangor. You need to make as much progress as possible on day 1 because on day 2 you the time zones work against you and even leaving Goose Bay early, you still arrive at Reykjavik well into the evening having stopped off at Narsarsuaq en route. Day 3 consists of the run back to Wick and then down to Cambridge and home.

All told the outbound flight clocked up 24:20 hours block to block. With the return assisted by gentle tailwinds coming in at 22:50. The longest day was the outbound day 2 in which I logged 11:55 block to block.

There is loads I could write about the flight, but rather than ramble, here are a few pictures to whet the appetite. I'd be happy to answer any questions either within the thread or via PMs

Departure from Cambridge. 2Donkeys, son and our passenger as far as Reykjavik Rob P

The stop off in Wick allowed not only for fuel, but the opportunity to pick up our rented survival suits from Far North Aviation.

The scenery on approach to Reykjavik is quite stunning

Few things can compare with the beauty of Greenland

Strange stablemates in Goose Bay

Clearing Customs in Bangor Maine

Mission Accomplished - Massachusetts
By 2Donkeys
Our stay in Wick was fleeting on both occasions. Just long enough to wee, refuel, pick up our immersion suits and be on our way.

As usual, the service from Far North Aviation was sparkling - they really have got the transatlantic thing off pat.
By 2Donkeys
Mrs Donkeys' father was of a similar persuasion when the trip was described to him - and he is a qualified pilot.

Anecdotally though, there is a strong belief by the many participants in the transatlantic business that far more people are lost to poor planning than by failing engines, systems or airframes.
By Dave W
But, hang on a cotton-pickin' minute! Isn't Cambridge already in Massa... Ah, disregard. :D :wink:

Just fabulous. These transatlantic trip writeups etc are really getting the old mind whirling. :thumleft:
ClearOfCloud liked this
By 2Donkeys
We crossed with a British RV-7 at Narsarsuaq on his way home from Oshkosh. He had a whopping ferry tank installed where his pax seat would have been and had been touring extensively whilst he was over in the US.
Splendid trip. I'd love to do it again. I avoided the southern route due to reports of zealous policing of the need for HF in Gander's airspace - although the more northerly route did allow a fabulous VFR crossing of the Greenland ice cap, which was probably my best ever flight.
By avtur3
A couple of years ago I spent a few days at Keflavik providing training for the guys who operate the fuel system there.

In the hotel one night I met a couples of guys who were flying a Cirrus back to the UK, one was the (UK) guy who had just bought the aircraft and had taken delivery at the factory, the other was a 'seasoned' ferry pilot who the new owner had employed to help him fly the aircraft back to his home base in Yorkshire.

It was fascinating to to talk to them, the ferry pilot had stories to tell that would have taken several days to listen to.

I've also worked at Wick and Far North Aviation has a well known reputation for assisting GA folks going to and from the US. For pilots originating on the UK he can offer 'rental' of survival equipment on the outbound leg which an then be returned on the return leg.

Thanks to 2Donkeys for his account of the trip.
By Lefty
Nice report Nigel. The food in the Narsarsuaq hotel is way way worse than even Goose Bay.
But I had to stop in Goose to spend a few days sightseeing and reminiscing about the 3 years I spent there with the RAF, and more significantly, where I got my first PPL.

Did you use HF on the crossing and if so, how did you install it ?
By 2Donkeys
Rob P returned from Keflavik on a commercial service with Wow! I think.

The HF question is an interesting one. The Canadians have mandated HF on the Southern Route (Reykjavik-Narsarsuaq-Goose Bay), which is a change on the position when I last did that run 10 or so years ago.

Despite this mandating, it is quite obvious that many aircraft continue to fly the route without the benefit of HF (it is a lot quicker than the northern routes). I went into this, hoping to be able to fly the Southern route, but intending to be very open and honest about my lack of HF equipment. On both occasions I was cleared in that full knowledge.

I have heard rumours of people being fined by the Canadians for non-compliance, but I don't know whether this is one of the many old wives' tales in aviation that always happened to 'a friend of a friend'.
Charles Hunt wrote:
How did RobP get back, or is he still there?

I wish.

Though the £10 a glass (not pint) beer was a bit of a downer.

But on balance worth it for this

ImageHumpback Whale 'Tattoo' by Rob, on Flickr

Rob P
2Donkeys, Rob L, Charles Hunt and 1 others liked this