Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Shrek235
Not a trip report as such but I wanted to share a few pictures of our beautiful country. After trying for years to get onto the Shetlands and getting as far as Kirkwall, middle of last month I finally did Unst and the most Northerly point of the UK - Mukkle Flugga. Hired a Warrior from a local Flying School based at Inverness and went exploring. As a side note, what super people they are at the School and the two instructors I flew with were just my cuppa tea. Both youngsters, 20 years and 30 years respectively but just wonderful people. The 20-year-old did my check ride and signed my biennial off; who says an old dog can’t learn new tricks; for those that say 20-year-old's don’t know anything, think again! The 30-year-old did my IMCr de-rust and re-validation - again, what a gem. I could wax on lyrically all day singing their praises BUT won’t. :D

ps:- sorry about the picture size variations - life is too short to fix. :twisted:

Routing up Cromarty Firth

Aproaching the Shetlands

Sumburgh

Fetlar - Did not land here. My "water" said "not a good idea. :pale: :D

Approach at Unst

Muckle Flugga

The Old Girl being fed at Tingwall - jolly expensive feeding that was. :shock:

After doing my shortest flight ever, 1 minute 30 seconds from wheels off to wheels on (what a buzz) I went to look at Twatt (had to be done) and while the runways are still visible, I decided it would not be wise to do a touch and go.
Twatt

Random views
TheKentishFledgling, Rob L, akg1486 and 2 others liked this
By The Other Ian
Another vote for the flying school at Inverness. A few years ago I was checked out on, and rented the same Warrior -G-LAZL - and flew down Lock Ness/The Great Glen before returning north over the Moray Firth to the Black Isle and the back into Inverness.

Spectacular scenery - thank you for reminding me of one of my favourite flying memories.
Shrek235 liked this
By pembroke
It's old norse for "many birds". I spent six happy years in Shetland, early seventies as #2 engineer for BA Helicopters. Another way back "home" (hamfarin) is on the Northlink ferry, leaves Aberdeen at 19.00 , all you need is a pint of ?shilling and a good night sleep!
Shrek235 liked this
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@pembroke said [quote][/quote]It's old norse for "many birds".

Ah! yes! I see it now. "Muckle" as in the Scottish proverb "Mony a mickle meks a muckle " ...and you can sort -of see the root of "much" in "muckle"

Then, "Flugga"....Well there's the Teutonic FLUG staring me, right in the face, ...nit so far removed from the English "flight"

Always had a fascination for languages, an interesting side-track!. :thumleft:
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've done the Shetlands a couple of times but I'd love to do some of the smaller strips in something more appropriate than the twin and Arrow in which I arrived previously.

Iceman 8)