Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Nick T
As it was my 'week' with the shareoplane, and the weather was looking promising, I decided to add a new airfield in my logbook and take a trip over to Caernarfon from Nottingham.

The trip itself was quite uneventful for the most part... it was almost a straight line from Nottingham over to Caernarfon, with CAVOK conditions for the most part. However, having not done any 'mountain' flying before I decided to play it safe and route up the coast from Llanrwst to Conwy.

I'll leave most of the description of the flight, as it was about as straightforward as you can get. The descent got a little bumpier, and, on talking to Caernarfon I started to work out why... Runway in use 25, surface wind 170/18. Was going to be the most challenging landing I'd ever done!

Anyway... most of it's in the video below, if you're interested. What's not in the video are my thoughts on Caernarfon. Lovely airfield. Landing fee was £20 for a PA28. Overnight stay (on hard standing) was an extra tenner. I took my own tie-downs and portable screws and used them to secure the plane for the night. Cafe good, with plenty of cake (and a nice Sunday lunch the day after). High vis mandatory, or there's a £20 fine, according to the signs.

Not so busy on the Saturday (I guess due to the wind conditions), but Sunday was absolutely rammed once the wind had died down.

Only about a mile's walk into Dinas Dinlle, where I was camping for the night. Beach within 10 minutes walk from the airfield.

The following day I flew home. Departing on 25, straight out over the sea (which made it my first flight over water) and then a nice cruise up the Menai Strait before taking the same route back home.

Great weekend - and here are some videos :)

TheLodger, Iceman liked this