Where have you been? What have you seen?
After 7 years of flying at Biggin Hill, I decided to have a look around for something faster and more fun to fly, along with the ability to fly further afield at the same cost or much less. I did quite a bit of research and was very much interested in full IFR cockpit, something new and more economical. The DA40 search began...

I was based at a Flying School and enjoyed a PPL, night rating and IMC rating. I had many memories over those years and did a lot of flying with fellow PPL holders who I made good friends with. It's sad to leave the many amazing memories that I had, but I found an aircraft based at Stapleford earlier this year and decided to move on.

After some fairly short CAA differences training I decided to take Paul my friend to Tatenhill and back using the Flyer Voucher.

The DA40D uses Jet-A1 fuel and features the following impressive IFR specification:

Twin Garmin 430 GPS
    Garmin 340 Audio Panel
    Garmin 330 Mode S Transponder
    Slaved HSI
    VOR, ADF, DME
    2nd Altimeter
    Autopilot with Altitude Pre Select
    Stormscope
    Long Range Fuel Tanks with over 1000nm range possible
    Baggage Extension
    4 Seat touring at 130Kts cruise

This wide range of instruments makes this aircraft ideal for IR training and operations, and the cruise speed and long range tanks provide excellent touring capability. The list of amazing opportunities with this aircraft are endless.

The second instalment of The Flying vLOG - The ultimate view in 4k, takes us from my new home base Stapleford to an ex-RAF airfield in my first ever trip on a private owned DA40. Some interesting weather as we depart, making it a little bumpy and a sporting crosswind at Tatenhill for my first solo landing.

Let me know what you think.

Video 1

You can also catch up with the return, unfortunately due to some technical difficulties with my brain being engaged I forgot to turn off the audio recorder and flattened the battery. The third instalment of The Flying vLOG - The ultimate view in 4k, as it takes us from Tantehill back to Stapleford after a short stop. The weather we experienced in the previous flight slowly clears to the west, but not without the warm front providing some interesting visibility and low cloud as we fly home.

Video 2

Please let me know how I can make my vLOGS much more interesting and better for you, the viewer and so I can educate myself and aid my flying skills in the future as I build up my experience levels and get to know the new aircraft.

The 4th instalment of The Flying vLOG - The ultimate view in 4K, is currently in production. This is a ferry flight of the DA40D to Bournemouth for it's annual maintenance, taking place in the morning with my first ever full IMC experience solo from abeam London City Airport to SFD VOR - as you can see my passenger enjoys whilst I concentrate very hard.

BirdsEyeView liked this