Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Cantabrigan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Two weeks ago we did a trip to see the JAM. I'd thoroughly recommend it to any aviation enthusiast. It's not on the same scale as say Duxford, but the quality of the exhibits is very good. Lots on the development of the jet engine and the early jet aircraft. And you can sit in the cockpit of a Vulcan and a Hunter at no extra charge :thumleft:
I say 'no extra', there's no admission charge as such but donations are strongly hinted at - fair enough. We also made use of the cafe and bookshop. The guides were friendly too, eager to explain but only if you wanted that.

Flying in is easy, follow the normal procedures for EGBJ. At a suitable moment advise Tower that you want to go to the Jet Age Museum and they will direct you towards a grass taxiway near the threshold of 09. There is a pair of small coloured markers at the entrance to it. Take it slowly as the grass is a bit bumpy. It leads to a mown parking area right next to the museum. Head for the gate in the right corner as you approach, we took the left gate on the way in and had to clamber over as it was locked.
Morten, Cessna57, kanga and 1 others liked this
Thank you for this report. :thumleft:

I too had never heard of the Jet Age Museum, but thanks to your report I was able to fly my dad there a few weeks ago. He used to fly Meteors so was really made up by the whole thing. Very enjoyable, and really friendly volunteers.

We found the taxiway / parking / gate exactly as you describe. The only thing I would add for others contemplating the trip, is that it's well worth reading the "Guide to Flying" on the website. Gloucester can get pretty busy it seems!

In particular, although not PPR, it's well worth giving ATC a call before setting off. Also, if you're only visiting JAM then you can call to book-out and pay the landing fee by phone before leaving.
kanga liked this