Where have you been? What have you seen?
Familiar to many, we thought a cycle along the sea front and a dip in the sea at Brighton might pass the day well, landing at Art Deco Shoreham and cycling in. Stiff south east wind so phoned ahead to check I could use grass into wind (mono europa), no problem. A slightly bumpy but uneventful flight mostly at 2300ft. Not sure why 13 wasnt available but managed on 06, ATC pleasant. Lovely airfield and building. Cycled to the left out of the building and under the bridge through some construction works, followed the A259 east. A dedicated cycle path goes towards the sea at Shoreham Port and thereafter parallel to the beach. Stoped at 'The View' for a drink and some lunch before continuing to the pier. The place was buzzing, lots of activity. Returned to the same spot later to sit and to swim. Landing fee/parking at Shoreham a bit steep at £27 but in this case worth it for a day out (cheaper before 10:30 if sub 700kg 50 ltrs uploaded - which is a bit bizare as most sub 700kg planes can only take about 50ltrs!). Departed after 17:00.

ImageImage2 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageImage3 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Cycle path

ImageDSC00128 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Approach to 06

ImageDSC00130 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Out with the Bromptons

ImageDSC00135 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC00137 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Airport resturant

ImageDSC00138 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Can only be the 'Mods' at Brighton

ImageDSC00139 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Shoreham

ImageDSC00141 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC00147 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC00144 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC00148 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
The good life

ImageDSC00154 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Author

ImageDSC00155 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Promenade

ImageDSC00157 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC00159 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC00162 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Viewing tower BA 360

ImageDSC00173 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC00179 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
And a swim - end of May, quite a few in, water about 14 deg C.
TheLodger, MichaelP, pauldean and 1 others liked this
Ltjcanty wrote:Hi Birdy,

I see a few people flying out of Dunstable but i thought it was STRICTLY gliders only. I live in Hemel and wish i could fly from Dunstable but assumed that it was the Tugs only with modified 'quiet' engines etc.

Jon

Why don't you try Bovingdon? Much closer to Hemel, just don't use the 'big' runway on a sunday and don't frighten the prison guards. :twisted:
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are well established strips at Holmbeck Farm and Eaton Bray. Other alternatives I believe are Meppershall, Henlow and Old Warden. The chap that operates Bovingdon may have operating limitations - as far as I know there's only one Eurostar there. Plaistows if you're happy with microlighys?
Hi, ours are Brompton's 3 gear and 6 gear weigh about 11.5kg and are the smallest folder. We find them brilliant. The wheels are 16" which is quite small but we have used them on some pretty rough tracks. I find the balance/Cof G a bit off for riding up really steep hills but other than that no complaints. 15-20 miles no problem. They hold their value really well so its more of an investment.