Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Nick T
Epic.

Just epic.

Just got back home from an excellent day out at Duxford.
Set off from Nottingham around 11am. Routed south of Langar, down to Desborough disused then over to Royston and join downwind for Runway 24 Duxford.

But who cares about all of that... I could bleat on about how the £15 landing fee was incredible value for money seeing as it got me access to the museum. I could wax lyrical about how my taxi instructions included 'and just wait next to the B17 Bomber for the marshaller to meet you'. I could enthuse about how a Spitfire did a run & break just after I vacated the runway before coming in to land behind me. I could even gush about how the exhibits were just awe inspiring. And I could totally fawn over the impromptu air displays including a Spitfire having way too much fun looping above the runway.

But all of that would do the day a complete disservice.

Best. Day. Ever.

Edit: vid

Last edited by Nick T on Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
karlbown, malcolmfrost, Rob P and 6 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You ever been asked to park next to the B29 though? :D

The B29 was outside for a while on the apron when the American hangar was being refurbished.
Nick T liked this
By Nick T
I only passed my GST in August and got the shareoplane in January. T'was my first visit! Certainly won't be my last ;)

Cake v.expensive though :lol:
By Josh
Duxford was my first trip with a friend after passing my PPL. Great day out, watching Sally B taxi past on the way in, and a Hurricane practicing its display in the overhead. Now I live 20 minutes drive and keep dragging the family.y back.

Wonderful place...
By Rob P
Just my luck. I was there Wednesday, not a propeller turned.

Some nice motors though.

Rob P
Nick T liked this
By karlbown
Funnily enough Duxford was my first trip after passing as well. And my first time flying with the CFI at my flying school. So no pressure then!

It was all pretty smooth though, apart from switching to the grass strip on final as someone was being slow to vacate the hard runway. I felt like a Spitfire pilot (in my PA28 lol)

Cafe was so-so, but museums were amazing, as were the mixture of aircraft in the circuit. I need to go back there with my wife sometime.

Josh wrote:Duxford was my first trip with a friend after passing my PPL. Great day out, watching Sally B taxi past on the way in, and a Hurricane practicing its display in the overhead. Now I live 20 minutes drive and keep dragging the family.y back.

Wonderful place...
By Nick T
Cessna57 wrote::thumleft:

You made it then! Hoped you would. Magical place isn't it ?!

Certainly was, and thanks for the help!

The answer to the question, by the way, was East Mids Radar until Grafham Water (ish) and then Cambridge Approach until just past their extended centre line :)
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You were a week too early!
Now if you come next weekend (27-8th).....
You'll get the Duxford May Air Festival (Tickets in advance only so be quick!)

Peter
By highfive
Nice report and vid :)

I had basically the same experience, a fantastic trip that just worked well from start to finish.

Clear notes online, very friendly chat with ATC to book PPR, simple joining instructions, friendly marshaller, reasonable landing fee, free entry and truly amazing exhibits (Avro York and SR-71 my favourites).

6-yr old: [As we taxi past the B-17, a Rapide taxis out and a Spit performs a run and break] "Look Dad, they've got an ice-cream van and a play area!".

Well done Duxford, you really are doing everything right and made three generations very happy today :thumleft:

Side note, NATS Class-D transit web-booking worked nicely as well. "... we have your details ... cleared to transit via Stansted 22 threshold not above 2400' ...".