Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Nick T
Hi all :)

As I'd not managed to get a grass landing done during my PPL training (!) I went out today with my instructor / examiner in my Archer shareoplane over from Nottingham to Fenland to do some circuits and touch and goes.

There was only one other plane in the circuit when we got there so we joined overhead for 26 and integrated in.

I'll spare all the intricate details, but my instructor commented and complimented (more than once!) on how smooth the runway was. I have nothing to compare it to, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near as bumpy as I'd expected.

The landing fee (for 4 t&gs and a full stop landing) was a meagre £5 and the cafe (although pretty much shut as it had gone 5pm) was still full of cake and certainly looked somewhere I'd gladly return to for a nice bit of food.

All in all, a really nice little airfield, incredibly good value for money and friendly people up in the tower. Recommended! :)
mick w, ChrisT, Charliesixtysix and 3 others liked this
By BirdsEyeView
For the infrequent visitor the airfield is often difficult to spot being a large green field in among a collection of other large green fields. I hear they offer 'I found Fenland' stickers.

Yes, nice field, excellent help and facilities. My local field - and I have trouble spotting it. Difficult to hide: if it weren't for the occasional aircraft going in and out no-one would know it's there (quote butchered from the original courtesy David Gunson's What Goes Up, Might Come Down).

By Nick T
Now, to be fair...

SkyDemon said I was at Fenland
I'd heard there was an aircraft in the circuit, which I saw in my 11 o'clock around a thousand ft below.

Couldn't for the life of me see Fenland though.

I asked my instructor 'can you actually see the airfield anywhere'?
He said 'look straight under your left wing... that plane's on final'

Yup - there it was, right underneath me. Completely missed it! I even lost track of it a couple of times in the circuit and that's when I was being really vigilant keeping an eye out!

So, I wish I'd got one of those stickers while there! :lol:
By Nick T
I just saw this on the 'events' page...

Yup, took me a while :lol:

(I stand by what I said though, lovely little airfield :))
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My instructor used to say(post removal of scrapyard and NDB) 'If you can't find Fenland, look under your left wing and it'll be there'

Peter
By Groundspeed
Yes lovely airfield and nice and smooth,except. The one and only time I landed on 26 I discovered "the bump". Aiming to turn off at the intersection I landed quite short, nicely down and below flying speed when I was projected upwards quite unexpectedly.

When sitting in clubhouse enjoying a cuppa the chap that had flown in before me, who had landed on 18 asked "find the bump then?". It seems that those that know land a bit further in, are well, we live and learn.

Yes though, great airfield, friendy folk and a good cafe, you realy can't ask for much more
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Left hand circuit?

Nah, sailing through the overhead....