Where have you been? What have you seen?
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
We're always on the lookout for flying adventure features to inspire and entertain FLYER readers.

So, if you're planning, or have taken a trip, whether big or small, that you think other pilots would like to read about in FLYER, then drop me a line at ed.hicks@seager.aero and tell me about your idea.
andrew015 liked this
Guernsey
Used my Flyer free landing voucher to visit Guernsey for the first time on Sept. 27th.
Everyone and especially the approach controller where so friendly and helpful that I was made to feel really welcome. Even better no handling fee from ASG for my single day visit and the round the island bus tour cost £1.
Parsimonious Swinderby
Bobcro liked this
By jtuggey
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The furthest ‘south’ I’ve got to has been La Rochelle. My plan for a 2 week break in August is:
Sherburn
Troyes (customs/immigration)
Annecy
Cannes
Venice
Friedrichshafen
lelystad
Sherburn

Any comments or thoughts? Very early days planning. How tricky is the approach to Annecy for example?

Thanks!
Nothing particularly difficult or testing about any of these (Though it must be said I was in the RH seat for Annecy, so it was unlikely to cause me any issues). The low level route offshore Cannes is worth the trip alone.

Troyes
Annecy
Cannes
Venice

Rob P
By 2Donkeys
Lovely looking itinerary. Do you have a planned route between Venice and Friedrichshafen. There are some mighty fine lumps of rock blocking the most direct routes, but there are some beautiful paths between them.
By jtuggey
I could do with some pointers to routes about how to make the ‘hop’ across or around those rocks - both from Anessy to Cannes and also Venice to Friedrichshafen. I’ve been scanning the forums to no avail as yet.
By 2Donkeys
Annecy to Cannes is best achieved by avoiding the rocks and routing down the Rhone valley to the MTL VOR before turning left and heading to Cannes. Venice to Friedrichshafen is a more involved answer.
jtuggey liked this
By Uptimist
For Venice-Friedrichsafen (VFR), we did this in May over two legs, in a 182, in reasonable weather for the first 2/3rd of the trip, a bit rainy arriving at Friedrichsafen. Our route was:
Leg 1 - Venice-Voslau, routing over Trieste, south end of Ljubljana CTR, then pretty much direct from Celje to Voslau.
Leg 2 - Voslau-Friedrichshafen, routing overhead Wels, then direct Friedrichsafen with great views of the Alps all the way on our left (through the rain, despite them being lit by sun).
Very scenic all the way, views of rolling Slovenian hills made me want to revisit on foot to do some wandering.
By jtuggey
Uptmist,
That's really helpful thank you. Plans coming together now. Would you have any recommendations regarding airfields and places to visit for the return from Friedrichshafen back to the UK?

Many thanks!
Don’t know where in the UK you’re returning to, but I can recommend a stopover at LFGA in Colmar just south of Strasbourg. Not very far from Friedrichshafen, though. Strasbourg is nice, too: there’s a GA airfield called LFGC. From memory, there was no landing fee (three years ago).

For customs, we recently used LFAQ Albert Bray that looks to be on your route. Efficient and service with a smile.
By jtuggey
Okay, so this may seem an ignorant question but can I ask someone to confirm my interpretation of the French AIP for LFQB (Troy).

1. ATS is open 0830-1130, 1230-1730 LT. No PPR required unless for extensions, in which case before 5pm LT previous working day.
2. Customs prior notification before 1700LT previous working day.

Ditto, similar for LFAQ (Albert-Bray).
1. ATS 0800-1800 summer Mon-friday. PPR not required except outside scheduled hours.
2. Customs - prior notice 8 hours weekdays before ETA.

Of course, it would be sensible to cc. the ATS when sending through the customs update.
Finally, if my ETA changes (e.g. delayed departure due to weather in the UK) what is the usual practice? Email, telephone or just arrive late (so long as within ATS and Customs operating hours.

Thanks in anticipation.
By jtuggey
2Donkeys wrote:Annecy to Cannes is best achieved by avoiding the rocks and routing down the Rhone valley to the MTL VOR before turning left and heading to Cannes. Venice to Friedrichshafen is a more involved answer.

Looking at the charts there are a number of restricted airspace’s (LR71, LFR196, LFR138) between MTL, DGN en route to Cannes. What’s your experience of transiting On a weekday? I can’t see an alternative!

Thank you.
swinderby wrote:Guernsey
Used my Flyer free landing voucher to visit Guernsey for the first time on Sept. 27th.
Everyone and especially the approach controller where so friendly and helpful that I was made to feel really welcome. Even better no handling fee from ASG for my single day visit and the round the island bus tour cost £1.
Parsimonious Swinderby

How we can get Flyer free landing voucher? Can you guide us on it?
andrew015 liked this