Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Nick T
Hi all,

Yesterday I went for my first flight 'up north', and visited Leeds East airfield. Original plan was to go to Elvington, but when I contacted them for PPR I was told the runway's currently closed for maintenance :(

Anyway, with the next logical choice being Leeds East or Sherburn (and with my parents preferring to meet me at Church Fenton) I gave Leeds East a call for PPR, was told that the tower was unmanned and there was no fire / emergency presence on site yesterday but I was welcome to fly in.

So I did. Departed Nottingham Tollerton and routed round the edge of Doncaster's airspace via the M1/M18 VRP and the M1/A1 VRP (they offered me a transit, which I graciously declined as I had my route planned out).

I passed the M62 and Ferrybridge power station and then kept an eye out. I knew Sherburn would be busy on such a glorious day and I knew Leeds East was quite literally next door...

Anyway, I went up as far as the M1/A1 VRP, looked to my right, and the sight of the huge tarmac runway of 06 was obvious. Listening in to the radio showed there was absolutely no other traffic there, so after making some blind calls to transmit my intentions I made straight in for 06, vacated at Foxtrot and parked next to the only other plane there, a nice little Cirrus.

Paid my £20 landing fee, went out for a meal with my parents, came back, took my dad for a flight over to Hornsea and back to Leeds East (no further landing fee when I returned). Collected the wife and then flew back to Nottingham, just as uneventfully as the trip up there.

So, Leeds East. Runways in great condition, absolutely loads of room and parking, nice clean facilities (including a kitchen for you to have coffee etc.) and friendly staff... Ok, it's completely lacking in a cafe... I'm guessing that's the reason why it seemed totally deserted. But I'll certainly go there again :)
Bearsden, GeorgeJLA liked this
By gasman
Nice report :)
May I suggest next time try using Sherburn (I'm biased as I've been based there for 18 years!).
You will find a welcoming spacious cafe/restaurant, £10 landing fee (waived with fuel uplift), A/G radio always manned and lots of interesting aircraft to admire (an especially nice C182 :lol: ).
Also several forumites from here are usually around to assist you.
G-XLTG
Nick T, A le Ron liked this
By Nick T
Well, it's interesting you say that, because I may have actually come over to Sherburn for lunch yesterday (the roast beef was lovely!)

Popped out the back afterwards and had a look what was going on - certainly seemed to have a good atmosphere about the place!

There were only two reasons I didn't go to Sherburn yesterday instead of Fenton...
1) I'm still very low hours - probably about 70 in total and < 20 since passing. I know Sherburn's popular and I didn't want to come in on what would have been a very busy day, balls up the circuit and annoy any other aviators. I'm getting far more comfortable with GA airfield procedures now I'm Tollerton based (I learned at East Mids, so it's a completely different experience) but still new enough that I'd rather tackle a new airfield on a quieter day :)
2) My mum's from around the area. She knew exactly where to find Church Fenton but wasn't familiar where the Sherburn airfield is. She doesn't do satnav and prefers to get lost and then find her way to where she needs to be :lol: Was easier for us all to meet at Fenton :lol:

But, you are right - the cafe / restaurant was very welcoming and very spacious - I do like what you've got going on over there :) In fact, a couple of people from my syndicate often fly in to Sherburn, so the plane's no stranger to it :)
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nice write up. £20 for the landing fee :shock: it was £15 last year when I visited.

Shame No.2 hangar was stripped to a shell as I remember flying from there with 9 AEF in Bulldogs. I had a look around No.3 hangar and there was some interesting machinery in there last year. I have photos of it all on my PPL blog :)
By rikur_
mattmoxon wrote:
Shame No.2 hangar was stripped to a shell as I remember flying from there with 9 AEF in Bulldogs.

It's earmarked as a nice glass front executive aviation terminal .... looks nice in the architect's drawings
By Melanie Moxon
rikur_ wrote:
mattmoxon wrote:
Shame No.2 hangar was stripped to a shell as I remember flying from there with 9 AEF in Bulldogs.

It's earmarked as a nice glass front executive aviation terminal .... looks nice in the architect's drawings

Only from my PoV at that exact time I wanted to take a selfie of myself in front of it to mimic the photo that I have, somewhere, of me at 14 wearing the flying suit, helmet and parachute ready to jump in a Bulldog to go flying for the first time.
By neilmurg
Can we start a campaign? I don’t like the name ‘Leeds East’, it’s weak; ‘Church Fenton’ is better, but why not ‘Yorkshire Business’ or ‘Yorkshire International’ or ‘Yorkshire Interconnect’ (fot the M1/M62/Train links) or ‘Yorkshire Galactic’ (you never know…)

I visited this year, they were great, very welcoming, great service and amazing runway. I didn't have chance to sample the food but they gave me overnight accommodation in the hangar, much appreciated (note to self: Control Lock!).

I've been to Sherburn a few times, also a great place, loved it in the Fuji, great people. But for the Rockwell Commander, there's something about those 2 runways at Yorkshire Galactic...
By chevvron
How about 'James Herriot' Airport?
Ok I know he operated from Thirsk, but it's got to be a name everybody knows and which is associated with Yorkshire :D (NOOO not 'Darren Gough' Airport please :twisted: )