Where have you been? What have you seen?
By fuzzflyer
Leaving France in a 600kg GA plane, and 1200 feet cloud at Bournemouth, we were greeted with 600ft! Seeing no exit to the NW we called a weather emergency and landed at Bournemouth. We were guided to Brise aviation who informed us of a£27 charge!
On returning the next day different staff told us the charge would be £69!!
And only after objecting did they reduce that to £45!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_m ... mbiguation)

This cannot be good or fair in General Aviation.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I came back last weekend at 800ft rather than 600ft, and one possible thought was diverting into Lee on Solent. As it was, I was able to get back "up the gap" to Bourne Park, but Lee is right there on the coast for a low level divert if necessary.
fuzzflyer liked this
By Irv Lee
Clearly best to get in where you can and is safe, but I don't know if pilots "notice" Lee is there, it doesn't stand out on chart but is really a growing gem of GA and definitely has better weather generally than inland so worth a call to check if weather looks grot approaching the Hampshire or Dorset coast. Isle of Wight also to be checked. Customs/immigration last thought on your mind if weather a problem, just land and call them and explain.
By 2Donkeys
The Strasser Scheme wrote:The waiver of fees by the aerodrome does not necessarily mean the waiver of any ground-handling fees levied by a FBO at the aerodrome.
By derekf
I diverted into Bournemouth a few years ago and after some discussions with Charles and Airport Management the landing fees were waived, but handling (as 2D mentioned) is not included in the scheme :roll:
By Rob L
fuzzflyer wrote:Leaving France in a 600kg GA plane, and 1200 feet cloud at Bournemouth, we were greeted with 600ft! Seeing no exit to the NW we called a weather emergency and landed at Bournemouth. We were guided to Brise aviation who informed us of a£27 charge!
On returning the next day different staff told us the charge would be £69!!
And only after objecting did they reduce that to £45!.

I'd suggest that £45 or £69 is better than getting yourself dead.

I do agree with the Strasser scheme, but pilots should be realistic, and not be trying to save a few bob to risk their lives (I'm not suggesting that fuzzflyer was under any such pressure).

But pilots in general should be prepared to pay the bill and it'll be forgotten in a few weeks/months, especially after a round at the local recalling the details.

{fuzzflyer: I have done a similar bad -weather diversion at Bournemouth, and I nearly gave up flying because of it, so I have empathy with your predicament}

Rob
By MichaelP
Should one have taken off from France in the first place?

I remember the Cherokee 180 which was under my management at the time, take off into a 1100 foot cloud base in Caen, the aeroplane Airways equipped, and the pilot IMC rated.
It too diverted into Bournemouth with all the expense, and the train fare home, and train fare back to pick it up.

Flying a VFR Condor, I stayed the night, and was back at Redhill the next day well before the Cherokee made it.

So perhaps we should consider the weather decisions we make, and the cost involved in them.
If Lee was clagged in, surely the indications of weather would have meant turning around and returning rather than pressing into weather that resulted in an expensive diversion, and could have resulted in worse.
By Paul_Sengupta
Regarding my flight above, I stayed in Cherbourg one night as the weather across the channel wasn't good enough - I turned back twice after having a look.

Anyway, it wasn't the cheap option. Taxis were around 40 quid each way plus the hotel in the town (about £55 IIRC).
By MichaelP
Regarding my flight above, I stayed in Cherbourg one night as the weather across the channel wasn't good enough - I turned back twice after having a look.

Yes, it cost you in France, but above the landing cost is ground transport from and back to Bournemouth. Perhaps a night stop near, and then a ferry flight for the aeroplane back to its base. There are additional costs for any diversion over and above landing and parking fees.

Moi, I'd much rather spend an extra night enjoying France than a worrying scud run in poor weather to somewhere I'd rather not be.
In 43 years and many such flights I have never flown into weather I could not avoid.
I have turned away from weather a few times, diverted to an airfield, and gone for une cafe et une pain au chocolat.

I agree, fees should not be charged in a genuine emergency, but flying VFR into IFR and then having an emergency diversion should not be rewarded with a free landing fee. That's not what it's for.

Were your turn arounds on the same day Paul?
Shrek235 liked this