Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Reefslayer
From Elstree (EGTR) to Deauville (LFRG)
Date of visit: 30/08/16
Type Flown: DA40 TDI
Flight Time 2 Hrs

Getting there
The flight was day VFR. Routing was Elstree > Thurrock > Folkestone > Cap Griz Nez > Mers-Le-Treport > Deauville. The plan was to cross the channel at it’s shortest point and then enjoy following the French coast down to Normandy. I filed for 4 thousand and maintained this level the whole way. London Information passed me to Lile Information mid channel and I then changed to Paris, Rouen and finally Deauville as I flew down the coast.

Photo: Passing L2K on the way down the coast

Arrival
I'd recommend familiarisation with the relevant entry in the French AIP, as they'll expect you to report against the various VRPs depending on which direction you’re coming from. For me it was November Golf as I approached from the North East. ATC instructed me to join base for 30 and I was greeted by the sight of over 2Km of runway. Deauville takes jet traffic so you’ll have all the LDA you’ll ever need in a piston. It wasn’t busy while I was there (mid week), a couple of biz jets and a few light piston aircraft were the only visitors.

Photo: Lots of space to park at LFRG.

Fees
The landing fee was 20.01 Euros including taxes. I uplifted fuel on arrival and it’s worth noting that it's possible to pay the landing fee with cash, but not fuel. Fuel must be paid for with either a debit/credit card or a BP fuel card. They had no avgas when I was there, but I was in a diesel and so was able to uplift JetA. I'd advise checking fuel availability before you go.

Local area
The Taxi into Deauville was about 18 Euros each way, the town itself is very pleasant, nice shops and places to eat. Well worth a visit, especially if you’re pressed for time and don’t want the longer trek to Honfleur. There is a bus which will take you from the airport to the town if your arrival time happens to be in sync with the timetable.

Photo: Le centre Ville, Place De Morny, Makes for a good drop off point. Lots of nice cafes to relax after your flight.

Conclusions
Friendly place and a good location. I’d recommend it. Also handy in that no prior customs notification is required, which makes it a good option to clear in if you then want to fly deeper into France.
Dave W, jerry_atrick liked this