Where have you been? What have you seen?
Another suspiciously nice day, another new airfield in the logbook! Took the C172 from Sywell to Gloucester, and on the way back (as the flight was otherwise quite short!), I decided to do a bit of aerial sightseeing around South Wales and Forest of Dean/along the Severn. There was quite a lot of traffic, especially the non-engined variant out and about, making use of the nice weather and thermally clouds - a few TCUs were reported and spotted around Birmingham Coventry.

The route to Gloucestershire Airport was pretty simple, avoiding the odd gliding and paradropping site. It's basically the same route I've done before to Kemble and Shobdon, from Sywell. A useful Traffic Service from Brize helped with some traffic sightings, and Gloucestershire was pretty busy (it turns out there was a fly-in that day!). Having learnt at a Class D field, and been flying from an AFIS field, it was a bit weird having full ATC in Class G.

I had read the detailed briefing pack for Gloucestershire, but then got cleared for a straight in approach onto Runway 27, which didn't seem to be included in the pack! Personally, I'm not a fan of straight in approaches, as you don't really get a chance to suss out the airfield, or get the aircraft configured before final. I'm still not sure if I did the "right" thing, as a straight in approach seems to put you flying pretty low over Cheltenham, and a bit close to GCHQ! If I'd have positioned west of Cheltenham, then i'd have been doing a base join, contrary to the issued instructions. Tower didn't complain, although their radar was inop...! Also got to see one of the Van Air LET L-410s departing, as I was taxiing in.

For the return flight I decided to cross the Severn into Wales, route down towards Newport (sort of along the Severn), over the Forest of Dean. Then, routing towards Abergavenny, along the edge of the Brecons. They looked a lot more dramatic from the windscreen, which sadly the GoPro on the side window didn't capture! The cloudbase was a little too low to fly over the Brecon Beacons sadly - a case of the old Cumulus Granitas getting in the way. After Abergavenny, I routed back towards Ross-on-Wye, and then tracked almost direct back to Sywell.

Much quieter on the way back, although the TS from Brize did get terminated quite quickly, as they clocked off at 1700L. It's worrying how many airfields close at 1700L on a gloriously sunny weekday - as I was refuelling the 172 at Sywell, a biplane arrived having been to two other strips in the area, attempting to find fuel, but all were closed/closing.

I've overlaid my track from Skydemon on both outbound and return videos.

Enjoy!

Outbound:

Return:
I do like your Skydemon overlays, if only I was more technical! Just for fun, how about overlaying the vertical nav logs at the bottom of the film? Not sure how much work that would be, but it would be a good learn around airspace / terrain etc.

How long were those flights? Just trying to get a feel for how much you've sped the films up by.

Keep up the good work!

PS went up to Sywell the other day just because, what a lovely airfield, I wish I could be based somewhere like that.
JWL wrote:I do like your Skydemon overlays, if only I was more technical! Just for fun, how about overlaying the vertical nav logs at the bottom of the film? Not sure how much work that would be, but it would be a good learn around airspace / terrain etc.

Thanks for the kind comments! I did consider that, but it shows up my poor altitude holding! I might look into it for a later video.

JWL wrote:How long were those flights? Just trying to get a feel for how much you've sped the films up by.

Brakes-on to brakes-off on the outbound leg was an hour (more holding than usual at Sywell, plus a lot of taxiing at Gloucester!). Skydemon logged a flight time of 40mins though. For the return leg, there was much less time spent on the ground, 1h30 brakes off to brakes on, and 1h20 airborne.

I've sped all clips, apart from landings and take-offs up by 10x, and the takeoffs and landings are 5x faster.
Thanks for the info, and please keep posting them. I did look and respond first thing this morning but Flyer lost the response somehow. Please keep these coming.

MidlandsPilot wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments! I did consider that, but it shows up my poor altitude holding! I might look into it for a later video.

I share your pain, some of my recent nav log postings have been very up and downy!
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Thermals aren't something to be blamed, they're something to be used. Let them take you up (though not into controlled airspace!) and you'll use less fuel to complete your journey. :D

A fair point, however on this day there was some TCU activity reported at Birmingham/Coventry. On the most thermally part of the first leg the cloud cover was reasonably thick (the video does exaggerate this), so unfortunately I couldn't go too high. Didn't fancy being trapped above without an instrument rating!

Anything to reduce the bill at the fuel pump is always welcome!!